56k dial-up download speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
Hi, I'm using 56k dial-up with a normal connection speed of 50.6k. One day several months ago, my download speed suddenly jumped from the average 2-6k to 20-27k. Needless to say I took advantage and did a lot of downloading that day :) I"m wondering what would cause such a dramatic speed increase, and is there any way I can get it back?

The downloaded file was most likely cached on your local drive. The cached section may be done during a previous download attempt, or it may be done when your browser/download manager begins the download. Usually, the speed will dramatically drop afterwards.

Some files cache pretty well, such as text files, but definitely not compressed archives or mp3's.

Yes, but I also downloaded 2 ISO files that day (over 600MB each) neither of which could have been cached, and they both downloaded at a steady 20-27k.

Blizzard596 said:
Yes, but I also downloaded 2 ISO files that day (over 600MB each) neither of which could have been cached, and they both downloaded at a steady 20-27k.

Ouch... must of taken forever to download those. Do you see any change depending on type of files downloaded?

Sorry, I mean they downloaded at 20-27kbps - as compared to my usual 2-5kbps. As for the different file types, I"m not sure, but web surfing was also much faster than usual (pictures etc.)

What were you wearing that day?? Maybe that has something to do with it..... hehehe

I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like one of those freak things that hapenned with the phone lines.

That'd have to be cached - it's impossible to get those speeds on a 50.6 connection - by all logic and the way the analog phone lines are cappd it could only go 5.1 MAYBE. You're either lying or you had a good chunk of the file somewhere on your hard drive already.

lol I know it sounds crazy, that's why I'm asking. But yes, I really did get up to 27kbps on 56k dial-up. Like Erstad said, it probably was something with the phone lines. I just wish it were that fast all the time :)

actually, i have a friend who usually DLs at a constant 12k on 56k dial-up... but i have never heard of a jump to 20k+
i have heard about jumps on cable... lol
but as you can see it went back down to what 2-5k?
maybe everyone that day ripped their phones out of the wall, and stopped using there computers or something...

nehi said:
actually, i have a friend who usually DLs at a constant 12k on 56k dial-up... but i have never heard of a jump to 20k+
i have heard about jumps on cable... lol
but as you can see it went back down to what 2-5k?
maybe everyone that day ripped their phones out of the wall, and stopped using there computers or something...

IE is designed to take off where you left off using cache. I dont see any other way you could have achieved those speeds. Sometimes IE doesnt dump its cache when it should, their have been cache problems like that with IE for a while now. I remeber something like that happening to me when I had dialup, only happened once. It has to be some kind of cache in the system. What version of IE do you have? I know IE 6 has a more complex cache system, it has many directories it uses to store files...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom