512K ADSL connection working @ 400K...normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonEdge

Baseband Member
I have a 512 ADSL Connection PPPOA and the
Telephone Exchange/Central Office is about 3-4 KM far.
I DL @ 50-52 KB/S max though it i hear that "theoretically" it can DL @ 64KB/s
Is my Connection sucky or is it normal for ADSL to have a much lower (28%) throughput than Advertised?

PS:
BTW my upload speed is also 28% lower than max:
24KB/s from 21KB/s Max

Thats about right. When I was on 1mbit fixed wireless I got around 600-800K when 1mbps was advertised. And after the lowered the speeds to 256k, I usually got about 150-200k on the speed tests. You only get the advertised rate under the best of conditions, and if nobody is hogging all the bandwidth, meaning you will get the fastest of speeds late at night when nobody is online.

Not even with a T1?
i mean with a T1 u play a heck a lot of money...u don't get 1.5 and get 1 meg/s for example??
thats so weird :(

A T1 is a little different. The reason you pay so much is because that 1.5meg is guaranteed. You don't have the fluxuations that you have with an SDSL system.

K thanks for help...seems i will try not to be greedy and accept what misery i got.. :)
now a lil question about pinging servers in the US
Well the theory says that light speed is 300000 KM/s
That means light goes :
30 km in 1 msec
300km in 10 msec
30000km in 100 msec
now the distance between my country egypt and america is
(i don't really know) like 20000-30000 KM
so if i send 1 byte to a server in the us the time it will take that lousy byte to cross the atlantic only(i think it is a fiberoptic between africa and america) is around 200msec (100msec*going and returning(2))

sooooo i presume from my pathetic calculations that lowest ping from an american server i'll ever get will be a min of 200 msec...that is disregarding the connection i have and the chocking points and lousy isp...

Is that RIGHT? :(
Any help is welcome

DemonEdge said:
K thanks for help...seems i will try not to be greedy and accept what misery i got.. :)
now a lil question about pinging servers in the US
Well the theory says that light speed is 300000 KM/s
That means light goes :
30 km in 1 msec
300km in 10 msec
30000km in 100 msec
now the distance between my country egypt and america is
(i don't really know) like 20000-30000 KM
so if i send 1 byte to a server in the us the time it will take that lousy byte to cross the atlantic only(i think it is a fiberoptic between africa and america) is around 200msec (100msec*going and returning(2))

sooooo i presume from my pathetic calculations that lowest ping from an american server i'll ever get will be a min of 200 msec...that is disregarding the connection i have and the chocking points and lousy isp...

Is that RIGHT? :(
Any help is welcome

Be thankful for what you have. I am unfortunate as to live in an area where broadband is currently not available in any way except for satellite (although I am going to pay to bring in cable eventually.) For now, I'm stuck with NetZero at 9.6 Kbps. :( :(

omg is that true...?
If so....thats sad :(
but i think if u can afford it(if u live in the us u can surely do :) )
u can lay down a dedicated line ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom