4000 bps from 48000 bps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intercodes

Daemon Poster
Hello,
This maybe a stupid and funny question , but i need to know an answer.!

. I get connected to internet at 48000 bps or 48 K with my dial up. But when I download some stuff from the net , the downloads speed come upto 4-5Kbps ...where are the rest 40 K's goin? . is it wasted or used for some other purpose.

Thanks
Intercodes

Well, when you are connected at 48000 bps, it is measured in bits. There are 8 bits in one byte. This would put your maximum download speed at 6 KB/sec.

intercodes your unit conversion is incorrect. My understanding is when a unit is express with a capital letter that means its bytes, if its lowercase its bits. So intercodes look at how you said "48000 bps or 48 K" that should mean "48000 bits per second or 48 kilobits per second".

Notice the capital K when you said "downloads speed come upto 4-5Kbps". That means it's 4-5 KiloBYTES per second. You're not losing any speed if you think of it this way. 4-5KB/sec is normal speed for a 56K modem

http://www.epi.umn.edu/pdb/video/
one byte (1 B) = eight bits (8 b)

examples
When people refer to a 56k modem, they're talking about a modem designed to carry 56 kilobits of data per second, which is abbreviated as 56 kbps, which is equal to 7 kilobytes of data per second, usually abbreviated as 7 KB/sec.

Oh yeah. I was confused with the 48000 bps as Bytes Per Second. Thanks for the reply. Iam now clear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom