2x NICs in 1 PC question under Win Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I am just wondering if it would be possible to install a second NIC in Windows XP Computer. And then configure 1 nic for INCOMMING DATA from the Internet. And the other nic for OUTGOING DATA to the Internet.

Would like to configure with with my existing home network which is via a NETGEAR DG-814 Router/DLS Modem.

And if this would be possible, could this improve my LEECHING and SEEDING speeds via Bit Torrent?

Well, when you think about it, it should able to improve my over all bandwidth usage from the internet.

Please some one correct me if I am wrong here.

I bridge my connections for faster speed. each network card goes to the router

until microsoft jack up my network settings so one of them don't work anymore

Harper, thats a kickass idea. I know you can use two NICs in a pc, but never thought of that. I'm gonna look around the net...

VICone said:
Harper, thats a kickass idea. I know you can use two NICs in a pc, but never thought of that. I'm gonna look around the net...
Well the idea dawned on my when i was trying to move files from my Leeching PC (SuperSonicB!tch) to my Main PC (PzychoB!tch). Since I was leeching heavly, it took about 20 minute to move about 2 Gigs of Data accross a 10/100 Connection.

And then I remember reading some where that there is application which can split your network traffic up across 2 nics. Therefore you could have 1 NIC for the INTERNET while have another NIC for the local network. Now to my understanding, this application can also be configured so you can BIT TORRENT from one NIC and Surf the internet from another. Unfortunatly I can not remember the name of the application.

And then there is one of my freinds that used one PC for leeching and another for seeding.

So this is a combination of all these ideas rolled into one.

Over all, this is just there to increase the amount of bandwidth from the internet to my PC across the local network.

I don't know if there's any software to do it in XP, but you can definately do it in any of the Server editions of Windows (NT, 2000, 2003). Its in "Routing and Remote Access" under Administrative tools.

However, this will not solve your leeching/seeding problem. Remember that your download speed is probably going to be less than 3Mb/s and your upload is going to be much less than 3Mb/s. Even if you only have a 10Mb/s network, the bottleneck would still be your internet connection.

Even if you have 10,000 NICs, they would all still use the same internet connection and be limited to 3Mb/s if you're downloading or considerably less if you're uploading. The only thing it would do would be to put more strain on your processor because how it has to worry about two network cards instead of one.

It would be like having one computer always uploading and one computer always downloading instead of one computer doing both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom