2wire issue, keeps kicking us off the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoses

Solid State Member
I had a lynxis router that got toasted when lightning hit near our house once. It seemed to work OK before but I replaced it with a 2wire modem and router combination. Now when you open your laptop and try to access the internet, many times it will take you to a 2wire error page saying that it can't find the server and wants you to reboot the router. if you wait a little while it will finally connect and you are good to go...... But periodically it may just quit for no apparant reason and give you the same 2wire error message about not finding the connection or server. Wait a short while and it comes back. If anyone else opens a laptop then it will kick everyone else off and go to the error message again till it resets. Any ideas? Best Buy told me the router was faulty so I bought another one and it is doing the same thing. It was not doing any thing like this on the lynxis router. No one else I have talked to with a 2wire is having this issue though.

Any help would be appreciated.

amoses

It is a 2701HG-B Gateway. Part # 1000-401048-000. It is a wireless router with DSL Modem for exclusive use with AT&T Yahoo.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

amoses

I'd recommend by passing the router for a little bit and see if you still run into those issues with a LAN connection. Try pinging google.com over and over again and see if you come up with any packet loss.

I'm curious if you're just having sync issues with your internet connection, Did you replace the phone cord as well? It might have come across some damage due to the surge. Or even if you have DSL filters those may have been damaged. Another thing is try not to use a cord thats longer than six feet, and try avoiding running it through surge protectors or splitters.

As far as the router, depending on what your connection is (Static, DHCP, or PPPoE) you may have to double check it's programming to make sure it's assigning IP's properly.

I'd recommend by passing the router for a little bit and see if you still run into those issues with a LAN connection. Try pinging google.com over and over again and see if you come up with any packet loss.

I would do that except that the modem and router are one single unit. Ist there a way to do this with this configureation?

I'm curious if you're just having sync issues with your internet connection, Did you replace the phone cord as well? It might have come across some damage due to the surge. Or even if you have DSL filters those may have been damaged. Another thing is try not to use a cord thats longer than six feet, and try avoiding running it through surge protectors or splitters.

I am using the data cable supplied with the modem/router and yes it was replaced. I also did replace the filter. The cord is longer than 5 feet so I could try that except I do ot have one. Would it be ok to use a regular phone cord as opposed to the data cable that they sent with the unit?

amoses

Yeah, I was certain if you were losing connection using it's wireless capability, or if you were plugged into a LAN slot thats on the back of it.

Technically you could run a longer cord, but the theory is to weed out as much possibility of there being sync issues caused by distance as possible. Up to ~10' depending on how far you are from the NID and the quality of inside wiring Cat5/6e cable, or just regular copper pair (if that is even the issue)

I'm not too familiar with the modems, but the majority of DSL modems can function on (recommended, make sure it has 4 wires in it, just not two) 2 pair copper cables...

One thing I've seen with the 2wire modems is, especially if it seems like it's reseting a lot is just updating the firmware again. Or even resetting the modem entirely and going through the PC setup again and confirming it's settings over all.

If all else fails, do you know how to log into the modem and provide Line Stats (SNR, AT etc?)

If you can wire into the modem and get the same issues, and the Firmware has been updated... it's very possible you may have intermittent sync issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom