2 wireless routers, one ISP

Jake

In Runtime
I want to replace a shared router in an apartment (the connection is provided by the landlord, he's on vacation), but I don't know who else is using it. So if I get a new router and input all my info, will it automatically disable the old one? Do I have to disable the old one first? Can multiple users use different routers with the same ISP?

Is the router a "cable modem/wireless router" that you got from your isp?
Or do you have a separate modem and this is a standalone wireless router?

I'm pretty sure it's an ISP provided router, no modems involved. I want to replace it because the connection's been poor and intermittent (and because that router's on another floor- I have no access to it). I'm worried that if I just hook up my own router I'll have some angry neighbors.

If there are no other modems involved, then that router is a modem as well as a wireless router. Therefore, you're still going to have to use it. Hopefully, though, there's a way to disable the router portion of it, so that it only acts as a modem.

Can you list the model of the modem/router?

I only know that it's a Motorola. Unfortunately I can't access the settings since someone changed the password from the default. I think I'm out of luck.

I only know that it's a Motorola. Unfortunately I can't access the settings since someone changed the password from the default. I think I'm out of luck.
Depending on your ISP too, they may have created the password to prevent "tampering" of their equipment. Only one way to find out would be resetting the modem/router to default factory configuration, but that doesn't seem workable at this point.

Back
Top Bottom