2 wireless routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

locki433

In Runtime
Ok. I have a comcast cable modem in the basement with a wireless router. I have a ethernet cable running to the second floor for the xbox360 to have connection. I want to add a second wireless router upstairs using the ethernet connection. Is there anything special to do, or do I just hook it up and set it up normally? Would I have to turn DHCP off anywhere or anything? Thanks

Im curious to this as well. I currently have two routers setup a linksys and a ****ty trendnet. What I did was just plug one router into another but dont plug it into the internet port, plug it into port 1 on the router. I have experiment turning off dhcp on the slave router but I honestly dont see a difference. Only issue im experiencing at the moment is I cant file share on a computer thats connected to a different router, which I think it would look through both routers. But bump for a good question.

Ok. I have a comcast cable modem in the basement with a wireless router. I have a ethernet cable running to the second floor for the xbox360 to have connection. I want to add a second wireless router upstairs using the ethernet connection. Is there anything special to do, or do I just hook it up and set it up normally? Would I have to turn DHCP off anywhere or anything? Thanks

Yes, you can connect the second router.
Simply set an IP for it (one you know isn't in your DHCP range), turn off it's own DHCP and connect the Ethernet cable into one of it's ports (NOT the WAN port).

Better is assing static IP na basement router DHCP for upper MAC address.
Then just disable DHCP on upper router and connect basement with upper with eth cable on LAN ports on both.
Note: You can use WAN port on upper but then upper network will be different segment and computers will not see each other in your house. But internet will work. Therefore it is better use LAN port on upper (slave) to use only its switch part (not a WAN) and you stay in the same naetwork as with basement LAN part = you will have 1 LAN in your house, regardless basement or upper connection is in use with any kind of device.
Just to make it clear ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom