2 strangers with same IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwar12

Beta member
I know its a stupid question, but is it possible for two complete strangers to have the same IP address?

same IP ?? why do you want it for. I think DHCP wouldn't allow you to do it on the same LAN

Well, one of my PC's at home has the address 172.16.20.130 and there's a PC at work here that has the exact same IP address.

I have no idea who that person is. So, we are (in effect) complete strangers who have the same IP address.

But those are both private IP addresses.

Is it possible with public IP addresses? No.

not possible
an IP address is equivilant to a House Address, Postal Code

there are Private IP addresses - 192.168.0.0, 172.16.0.0 to 172.32.0.0 and 10.0.0.0 which any private network can use because they have been specifically reserved.

*off topic
mBernhardt, my boss told me once they interviewed someone and said the exact quote in your sig about firewalls lol. and was serious!

if two people had a beling wireless g router, then they would have the same i.p, if another person had a netgear rangemax pc then they wouldnt

Two PC's can have the same IP addresses as long as you're behind a NAT. As far as public IP's go (IP's that are used on the internet), you cannot have the same IP.

Since you have a 172.16.x.x IP address, you have to be behind a NAT to access the internet.
There are 3 IP ranges that cannot be routed on the internet
192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255
172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255
10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255

If you want to see your public IP go to a site like www.whatismyip.org.

In a different way of looking at it, many times the IP address you get from the ISP is via DHCP. So, 1 day, you could have an IP address, and then next day (or whenever the DHCP lease is up), you may get a different address, and someone else would get the one you had the previous day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom