2 routers on same network

samg84

Beta member
I am trying to connect to modem/routers to a network as the wireless connection from one does not go to the 2nd floor. The house is has a router with wired connection to sockets around the house. Is someone able to explain how i can send the connection from the router downstairs to a router upstairs.

Cheers

Take the router that you want to put on the second floor, and connect a PC or laptop directly to it, and get into the web admin interface. Turn OFF DHCP on the second router, and ensure that it is using an IP Address in the same subnet as the first router. If you post up the router model info, we can make sure they are in the same range... Ex: If Router 1 is 192.168.1.1, make the second 192.168.1.2 or something like that. Then configure the router so that the wireless SSID and password are the same as the first router.

Then, connect a cable between the 2 routers. Connect them using the LAN ports on both. To make it easy to remember, I would use the SAME port on both routers so you know when one is the uplink. Use PORT 1 or PORT 4 on by devices. At this point, you should be good to go.

depending on the router that you use as the secound, the cable from the first should go into the LAN/WAN port.

That will give you a better conaction then pluging into just any port.

Example: from the main ISP modem>lan/wan port on first router>cable from any port to the LAN/WAN port on second router.

I'm looking for a solution to a very similar problem. I have a wireless router connected to master telephone socket(the only one in house. All my devices (laptops, ipods etc.) are connected to this router. However I have a non wireless desktop In another room and a spare router. Can I connect the desktop with spare router wirelessly to the master router to access the internet on desktop.. note: i am aware of dongles but will only buy one if this cant work.

I am trying to connect to modem/routers to a network as the wireless connection from one does not go to the 2nd floor. The house is has a router with wired connection to sockets around the house. Is someone able to explain how i can send the connection from the router downstairs to a router upstairs.

Cheers

I don't know what brand of router you have, but as an example, cisco explains it pretty good in this Article.

I'm looking for a solution to a very similar problem. I have a wireless router connected to master telephone socket(the only one in house. All my devices (laptops, ipods etc.) are connected to this router. However I have a non wireless desktop In another room and a spare router. Can I connect the desktop with spare router wirelessly to the master router to access the internet on desktop.. note: i am aware of dongles but will only buy one if this cant work.

it depends on whether or not your spare router had a wireless repeater bridge mode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom