2 Router setup...possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have to remove the Linksys from the network, reset it back to factory default so DHCP on the Linksys will be enable. Then plug a workstation to the Linksys, you should be able to obtain an IP address from it's DHCP service, there you can use ipconfig /all in command prompt to note the default gateway IP. That IP you will use to connect to the Linksys.

Once you are in there, change it's LAN IP to reflect the one you are using on your DLink and disable the DHCP on the Linksys. Save and exit. Plug it back in, use the new IP you configure to now manage it.

If you are doing the DLink, follow the same step in vice-versa.

I want it so the DLINk is still the original router now connecting all of our PC's etc., then I want the new linksys router to be wired to the DLINK as a second access point for the xbox 360 to connect too only. Everything else will stay on DLINK's channel as they are now.

Whenever I plugup the linksys to a PC even my own downstairs with a wire, I can't manage the **** thing. I'll try again today though and see if I can set it up how you guys are telling me. Hopefully I can get it to work...

Have you reset the Linksys router back to factory defaults?
Do you have the documentation that came with it just to VERIFY that it is defaulted to 192.168.1.1 is Linksys hardware usually is?

You will want to plug the computer into a LAN port with a straight through cable. Make sure this host is using a DHCP address, not a static IP. If that doesn't work, then try to give the computer the following static IP address:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Once that is done, and the Linksys and computer are connected to eachother. If you can't get to the config page from there, then open a command prompt. At the command prompt, enter "ping 192.168.1.1" to try and ping the router. If THAT doesn't work then one of the following is possible:

1. The computer NIC card isn't working
2. Bad cable
3. Router wasn't put back to factory defaults
4. Router is bad and needs to be exchanged if the store will take it back, otherwise it has to be RMA'd to Linksys.

Okay. I got everything working yesterday afternoon. After 2 hours of constant addressing and wireless development. I figured it all out. Both have WiFi networks, I can connect anything to either or. Even DLINK adapters I can have tunnel through the 802.11b AP and connect to my linksys 802.11g AP. Muhahaha. Now my internet is 54mbps vice 11mbps whenever I want to download stuff lol.

Now I can have the 360 on the G line and everything else on B while I'm playing so they don't use each others bandwith. It's perfect I tell you. Thanks everyone for your help! If anyone else needs help with this. I documented all of my stuff so I can share it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom