2 questions about changing my ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your computer obtains its IP address either from a home router or ISP modem with DHCP enabled. This would give it an internal IP address, (such as 192.168.0.17 as this user has been assigned by his router or modem). But the ipconfig /release and renew command may also release your ISPs IP address as long as you are directly connected to your modem with an ethernet cable, and there is no internal DHCP configuration enabled. But as I said above it depends on the ISP. If they have very long lease times on your IP address you'll just be reassigning yourself the same IP address from the pool the ISP has setup.

Even more important is why would you want to change your IP in the first place? If you are being banned from gaming servers and are simply reassigning yourself a new IP address from your ISP they'll quickly figure out what your doing when they are repeatedly banning the same member from the same ISP in the same geographical area. All they have to do is file a complaint with your ISP, from this point I'm not sure of what procedures they would take, but your ISP is going to know the IP address you have used and could temporarily or permanently disable your service.

There are some instructions here for basically doing what I said above, with some additional steps that might give you better success, but it's not guaranteed and as I pointed out above if you are getting banned from servers this will only be a temporary fix. You probably should just follow the rules instead of trying to subvert them.

One more thing I forgot to mention is about those lease times....that has to do with your internal DHCP configuration; those lease times have nothing to do with your external address but are the lease times set on your home wireless router. There is no way short of a phone call to your ISP to find out what the lease times are for the IP address you obtained from them. Like some have said, it might stay the same for years, it might change next week.

Even more important is why would you want to change your IP in the first place? If you are being banned from gaming servers and are simply reassigning yourself a new IP address from your ISP they'll quickly figure out what your doing when they are repeatedly banning the same member from the same ISP in the same geographical area. All they have to do is file a complaint with your ISP, from this point I'm not sure of what procedures they would take, but your ISP is going to know the IP address you have used and could temporarily or permanently disable your service.
I've avoided ip bans before yet i've been able to use what i want while in the same room of the ip i was banned from.

There are some instructions here for basically doing
None of those methods work, i have tried them all.

OK, I now have to ask WHY you seem so desperate to change your IP.

I've been blocked from a server because a friend of mine decided to spam a forum in my account as a joke and i would like to get back onto the server.

I've been blocked from a server because a friend of mine decided to spam a forum in my account as a joke and i would like to get back onto the server.

I've avoided ip bans before yet i've been able to use what i want while in the same room of the ip i was banned from.

I'm sorry but I have to call BS on this one. I've been a member of various forums for a long time and I've been banned before, but I've only received one IP ban and it was temporary. If you have been banned multiple times you are probably doing something you shouldn't, and that "it was my friend" excuse is the oldest in the book. Stop breaking the rules if you don't like being banned!

I'm sorry but I have to call BS on this one. I've been a member of various forums for a long time and I've been banned before, but I've only received one IP ban and it was temporary. If you have been banned multiple times you are probably doing something you shouldn't, and that "it was my friend" excuse is the oldest in the book. Stop breaking the rules if you don't like being banned!

The time i got ip banned first i deserved it, the second time (this time) i did not.

well if you've been IP banned, regardless of if it's 'a friend' or not, if you change your ip and create an account it's only a matter of time before they figure out that it's you and you'll be permabanned again. But going around an IP ban is only asking for more trouble. Anyone on here can tell you that. Changing your IP isn't the way to go around your ban.

It doesnt matter if you deserved it or not. Dont let your so called friends use your account or your PC if they are going to get you into trouble. Simple solution for a simple problem. Live with the punishment you were given. If you dont like it, dont break the rules of the sites to get banned in the first place. Knowing that you openly admit to the fact you were already banned once but went back is already beyond responsible. Stop breaking their rules. Yet another simple solution for a simple problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom