2 PC's and One Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I might end up having two computers in our house soon. They will be on the complete opposite floors (one will be in the basement, the other on the second floor). Right now for internet I have a 2wire router that I'm using ethernet with (2701HG-B 2Wire.com: Models & Specs, can't find it listed on the 2Wire site though :annoyed:). When I get the second computer I could just have a long ethernet cable running from the router in the basement to the second floor, but it would be a hassle.

Right now the Wireless led on the router is off, I'm not sure if this is because I just have an ethernet cable being used or what. If I got a wireless pci card like this: Newegg.com - ASUS WL-138g V2 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP
WPA2 (including 802.1x, TKIP, AES) - Wireless Adapters
would I just plug that in the second computer and be good to go or do I need something else? I don't know much about wireless at all :(.

Well yes for a start you'll need a wireless card for the basement PC. You'll also need to make sure it's not too far away from the router, with not too many walls in between :)

After that, you'll probably need to log onto your router and check the wireless config. Most routers will usually have a username and password stuck onto the bottom of the router.
Post up if you get that far, if you hit troubles setting up the wireless network let me know

The computer that won't be connected to the router by ethernet needs the card right? Right now the basement PC has the router, so the one upstairs will need the card right?

Just looked at the router settings, I think I have it setup right. So will I have to setup a new network in Windows or can I get into the already existing one?

After this is figured out, I'll just have to wait for the card (and umm...the pc ;)).

oh, yeah sorry. thought the basement was the wireless one.

The idea is you've got the wireless network setup and ready on the router. Then all you're doing with the upstairs pc is joining the network. You'll need to know the SSID, and (if you're using encryption) the key. All of that you can define on the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom