2 PC network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
In my house, I have 2 PCS, both fairly new [one constructed with parts a few days ago] another bought a year ago.
We'll call the built pc A and the 1 year old pc B.
Currently, A is directly connected to the internet with a Belkin ADSL Modem High Speed wireless-Grouter, and B is connected to the internet through A with one of those wireless signal reciever things [they look like memory stick things which you shove into a usb port]

Currently, I think I'm in a [wireless] network with A and B, but the internet connection on B isn't always consistent etc.

What I want now is to make a pure home network between A and B, but is it possible to make A the main control for the network [meaning, A can control what's happening on B]. Also I plan to share videos and music between A and B.
I was thinking of scrapping the wireless and having a gigabit ethernet.

Any ideas?
If you have any strong ideas, would like a list of what equipment I need
Thanks for reading

So you have Computer A which has two network card (one wired and the other wireless) the wired card is connected to the ADSL modem and the wireless card is connected to Computer B which shares Internet to it?

If your Internet is unreliable at time on ComuterB, it's probably because it's connected wirelessly. Try using wires or connecting ComputerB to the router.

It is possible to control Internet, but I am assuming youÂ’re using Microsoft ICS. There isnÂ’t any feature in ICS to help maintain the Internet; you will need to get a third-party software like ezProxy.

Switching to gigabit LAN, youÂ’ll need Cat5e or Cat6 (recommended) cables, you will need a home router or switch with 10/100/1000 ports, and a NIC card for both the computer that supports 10/100/1000.

I don't really know what I have.. the modem at A is connected to a LAN
[Integrated Fast Ethernet (10/100) controller (Broadcom)] connector at the back.

So how exactly is ComputerB connected to ComputerA? Is there a device connected on ComputerA that connects to ComputerB or anything in between these two?

Or is it that ComputerB is actually connected to the router?

Ok A is connected directly to the net, it emits signals and such [wireless]
B has this wireless signal thing which looks like a USB pen. So basically B is using the internet through A with wireless. All I want now is to form a home network + to also improve B's consistenceness of the internet connection. Thus, that's why I'm planning to get cable instead of wireless

Alright here's what I am assuming your connection looks like.

(ADSL Modem/Wireless Router all in one) connects to ComputerA wired ethernet card, ComputerA wireless ethernet adaptor connects to ComputerB wireless adaptor.

So that would mean ComputerA has two network card (1 wired to the modem and the other is a wireless adaptor connected to ComputerB). Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to improve the consistenceness of ComputerB, connect it to the router if you have extra ports on it. If not then add a switch and connect both PC to the switch. Get a Gigabit Switch if you want to share files in your LAN faster. Once you connect the two computers to the switch file sharing should be pretty much enable by default all you really have to do is put the computers in the same workgroup and share your folders.

Ok cool, got it there.

My ADSL modem at PC A has 4 ports, currently I've occupied one port. So basically, I can Just purchase a long cable and shove it into port 2 and it would be connected.

But then I would go gigabit enet to share stuff
Right?

Yes, you could connect PC B to any of the empy ports, 2-4....

As you sit now, no, you couldn't use Gigabit, as you stated earlier the broadcom adaptor on your PC is a 10/100 card... As law mentioned above, you will need a 10/100/1000 NIC for each PC, in ADDITION to a 10/100/1000 switch or router.... As well as at LEAST Cat 5e cables... Cat5 doesn' support gigbit. Your network will only be as fast as the slowest segment the data passes over... if you have 2 PC's with 10/100/1000 NIC's, and your router is 10/100.... 100 is the MOST you will ever get without upgrading.

Oh riight.

So basically, I will need to upgrade / add a enet gigabit compatible network card on both pcs [will check on other pc now]

Ok basically what I need now..

Wired router? supports gigabit enet [need confirmation]
2x Enet NIC cards
CAT6 cable

[Btw, How do I check what format i.e 10/100 etc my adsl modem is?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom