2 Ethernet adaptors but no visible network connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I have a Gateway DX200S with a built-in ethernet adapter, plus an extra PCI NIC, but there is nothing showing up under Network Connection (Windows XP Home Edition). The built-in adapter doesn't show up in device manager. The PCI one does, but has driver issues. I've tried removing the PCI card but the onboard LAN is still missing.

Could it be a necessary service isn't running or what?

::update::

Well I've just realized something else. Device manager states:

"This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I have also just tried a brand new Realtek NIC with the same results.

try re-installing the drivers, or getting the newest ones from the manufactuere webpage.

Have you checked in BIOS to make sure that the onboard NIC is enabled?

I tried un-installing the devices in device manager, re-installed drivers (even tried several different versions), nothing worked. Since I was in a hurry, I just ran a recovery install of XP and took care of it. Still wish I knew what the problem was, for future reference, but I just don't have time to mess with it right now.
Thanks.

Yes. Everything is fine now. I'm guessing maybe it was something in the registry since reinstalling the drivers didn't fix it, but whatever it was, it's running smoothly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom