2 computers connected through a network switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo119

Banned
i've got my pc, and a new web server that I just built. I have DSL, so i have the speedstream dsl router, and then a Belkin 8-port network switch. Each of the computers are coming out of the network switch. I cannot get the computers to both be connected to the internet at the same time! I've been fooling with the ipconfig renew and release, TCP/IP settings, and static and auto assign, for almost 3hours. I am to the point of throwing something! Please help!!!!:angry:

stevo119 said:
i've got my pc, and a new web server that I just built. I have DSL, so i have the speedstream dsl router, and then a Belkin 8-port network switch. Each of the computers are coming out of the network switch. I cannot get the computers to both be connected to the internet at the same time! I've been fooling with the ipconfig renew and release, TCP/IP settings, and static and auto assign, for almost 3hours. I am to the point of throwing something! Please help!!!!:angry:

I did not know "speedstream" made routers.

You need a router for both computers to ascess the internet, and I dont think you have one.

Well no. You dont technically "Need" a router. The reason that both computer wont connect at the same time is that, using a switch, each computer needs a WAN IP address from the DSL modem. Most ISP's only allow you one WAN ip address. The easy solution would be to buy an inexpensive broadband router.

Here is the issue. You said this was going to be a webserver. Chances are you will be needing a seperate static WAN ip for that to work. (There are complicated ways around this.)

I would contact your ISP and ask them about getting multiple static IP address' to solve you problems.

I was assuming he's only getting 1 IP as 99% of hosts just do that

Okay to get around your dynamic IP this is the step, ignore this till you have your server functioning though
https://www.dyndns.org/

A simple (good) wired router will allow you to foward an IP, so when someone types in your ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX they see your webserver.

You should really do some reasearch before you go buying crap

That homeportal router looks like the biggiest POS ever, only supports 10 meg lol.

Homeportal router with PRO firewall :Lol:

Edit: If you want some suggestions just hit me up, you should be looking at GOOD home routers for a server at the bare minimum, if not cheaper pro routers (or maybee SOHO series)

actually yeah i do know about those, and no internet connection around here is 10megs so it really doesnt matter. I'm not gunna be running a corportate business. and people i know have them, and its just what i need. if you dont like it, then could you post a link to smoething that you would suggest instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom