2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidgenisis

Baseband Member
Hi, i was wondering if there was any way to hook 2 computers up to the internet, using 1 modem, like, fro mthe wall to the modem, to the one computer, then from the one computer to another computer without buying a router, or would it be better that i just buy a router ?

If this is regarding a DSL/Cable "modem" then I would FOR SURE suggest buying a router/switch/etc its just better to have at least a little security between you and the world since you have a continuous connection as long as your machine is powered on.

But, to answer your question I honestly dont know if daisy chaining your computers together would allow for both machines to have access to the internet. Im sure sombody should be able to help you with that if you really want to.

EDIT
by the way, daisy chaining makes for a pretty slow connection. linky

You can hook up 2 computers using a regular dial up modem using a serial cable with internet connection sharing. Look it up on google. It is actually a faster speed than ethernet I think.

I had to computer ICS on dialup and it wasnt that slow. I wouldnt go buying a router or a switch to share dial up..not worth it.
Im getting ADSL so i bought a ADSL Modem/Router which has 4 ethernet ports!

For this to work the best I would go with a router. Are if you have a usb and ethernet connection on the back of the modem you can get another ip from your internet provider. The last thing you can do is setup ics and install another nic in one of your computers and connect that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom