1st time setting up wireless network, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellasweet

Baseband Member
Hi, just moved into a new place and need to set up a wireless network for the two other computers in the house. I got a wireless router but I can't seem to figure out how to set up the other computers. The other computers have wireless PCI cards installed so they should be good to go.

Here is my problem,

When I try to set up a wireless network in the control panel, it says I need a flash drive. And if I don't have a flash drive, I can do it manually and I need to put in my settings manually. Ok, I dont know where I am supposed to type these settings in. I assume on the other comp I want on my network but where on the other comp?

Sorry this is such a quagmire, can someone just walk me through it?

p.s. - my setup is a lynksys ethernet modem with a netgear wireless router. I have a ethernet pci card in my PC right now.

Before you set up either of the PC's, you will have to log into the Netgear router's configuration page (type the router's IP address into your web browser. Login info will be in the bundled documentation or e-manual.). You will need to enable the wireless functionality of the router, and input an SSID (name of the network, make it something unique, other than the default name). Before enabling security on the router, go to each host PC, and see if they are able to connect to ther routers signal. Windows should do this automatically if you have all the proper drivers installed.

Can you elaborate more on what is telling you that you will need a flash drive to set this up?

Here is the order in which I am trying to set it up, let me know where i am going wrong:

first I go to control panel. then go to network and internet connections. then i go to wireless network setup wizard and click set up wireless network. from there is asks if I want to use a USB flash drive or set the network up manually. I dont have a flash drive so I choose manually. I print out the settings paper. What I dont get is where are you supposed to type these into? It doesnt say where.

before you even go into the control panel on either of the PC's, have you logged into the ROUTER'S configuration page? You can do this by plugging one of the computers into the router, and typing the router's IP address into your internet browser address bar. The router's IP address and login/password info can be found in the documentation that came with the router.

An alternative way to get the IP address is to plug into the router, then go to START > RUN > type 'CMD' hit enter (if on Vista, search for COMMAND).
Once the command prompt is up, type 'IPCONFIG' one word with out the 's. The number listed as the DEFAULT GATEWAY will be the router.

Yeah, I configured the router. The problem is my gf didnt install her wireless card right.

Anyways, we installed the card correctly and everything works now, except now I have a question about security. Her card is really old and wont work with the new security settings. I had it on WPA-PSK... but hers only supports WEP.

So when I try and change it to WEP it wants me to enter a 10 character key plus my passphrase. I have no idea where i get this security key from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom