100yrd stare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentobaku

In Runtime
Hey guys I finally got my parents talked into leaving the stone age and getting internet. But as little as they use it, it really isn't worth they buying their own server. I am their next door neighbor. So I am wondering what would I need to send a wireless signal about 100yrds (say 150yrds because of walls and trees), throw some walls ?

was looking at this setup so far
ISP Gateway (Westell provided by isp)---CAT6---Repeater~~~[wireless 100yrs/138m]~~~Bridge----CAT6----PC

This was just me using what i know, I am looking for the cheapest way to do this but still get a quality signal. With the wireless G signal coming from gateway where is it located it reaches about 30ft from closest wall to my house with 2 bars on a wireless G laptop but abruptly cuts out even one step farther. I don't know a lot about networking just some basics so keep the set up simple and fairly maintenance free. TY

The one thing instantly i would say is Different is Starbucks is probably using a high output router. The Bridge I linked picks up a wireless G signal at about 50yrds going though an entire house into another house for a buddy of mine. At my parents the wireless cards get to halfway up the driveway and then dead signals. Literally you are at 2 bars signal on my laptop and take a step and cuts out. Doesn't matter is its a wireless g or n card. So I know my router isn't pushing enough alone. As for gaming if my parents play any online games it will be like pogo or one of those horrible online flash games.

Guess what I am really looking for is clarification if this would be a good set up or if there is a simpler cheaper set up. Like if I just bought a new gateway can I use it or would i still need my isp's to connect into their internet? If I can then I probably would need the repeater. Or is there a better way to boost my wireless signal. The Bridge is really good for the $, I just need to boost more on my side. I would like to have a gateway that was 10/100/1000 for home networking and video streaming but I don't want to have to keep a hundred devices in sync. Plus $ is an issue, so I will probably go with the repeater unless I can hook a Different Gateway up -in place- of my ISP Gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom