100% packet loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

NN84

Solid State Member
Hello! I've been searching this forum for the solution of my problem, but no one seems to have the same trouble. Let me try to explain:

SITUATION:
- There is a SMC SMC2804WBR Barricade 54Mbps wireless router in the building with 5 appartments available for all residents.
- In my appartment there are two computers, one is able to acces internet, the other isn't (both XP Pro)
- The first computer has Planet wl-8314 wireless card, the other has some Surecom card.
- The funny thing is that at first only one computer showed these symptoms, but after a while the other has the same problems while the first one is now working fine (nothing has really been changed or modified).

SYMPTOMS:
- It's able to establish connection without a problem, signal strenght is excellent, everything seem to be working right at first glance, but there are no incoming data, or maybe one or two packets in the first few seconds I connect. Outgoing data seems to be allright.
- When pinging any address there is 100% packet loss. When pinging my own IP there is 0% packet loss.
- I'm sure it's not a DNS issue.

TRIED SOLUTIONS:
- I tried to restart Wireless Zero Configuration service, but that didn't help.
- I tried to turn off windows firewall, nothing changed.
- I tried to repair connection ...
- I tried to connect with manually entered IP which was asigned to the first computer by DHCP. I disconnected the first computer before I did that. I got connected, but that's all!

Now here is the thing. I assume that restarting router would help, but I cannot do that - the owner of the house has it in her appartment, and she starts to yell at me when I ask her to restart it, saying that there is absolutely something wrong with my computer, because everybody else's computers are working fine. I can acces router setup menu, if that could help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if you want to know any other details, just ask. Thank you!!!

Ok, when you try to ping an address, are you typing a domain name or an ip? If you're trying an domain name try using an IP address. Try 64.233.187.99. This will rule out a DNS issue completely.

Also try pinging the default gateway/router. If you're not able to ping the router address, you're not connecting to the router.

Also type "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt then post the results.

I was pinging IP addresses. 64.233.187.99 didn't work (4 packets sent, 0 received, 100% packet loss), the same is with the routers IP. I can see other computers in the workgroup on the computer that doesn't work, and I can't on the computer that works. I don't know if this is relevant, but I find it interesting:) Anyway, here are the results of "ipconfig /all" command:
157314233_983032c352_o.jpg

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hmm everything on the tcp/ip settings looks good, other than the really long lease time. Try assigning a static IP outside the dhcp range.

You should be able to see what the dhcp range is on the config pages. I would guess its from 192.168.2.100-150 so set it to something like 192.167.2.201. Im guessing there's an IP conflict. There shouldn't be using DHCP, but on a system available to many people like this, someone may have manually set an IP to an IP that is causing a conflict.

Alternatively, try "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew".

I also recomend that you suggest that the person shorten the dhcp lease time. Its set rediculously long.

DHCP range is 192.168.2.100 - 199. I set it to 192.167.2.201 and a few other variants, but no matter what IP I set - situation is always the same. I also tried to restart the computer a few times, after I applied new IP's. Everything seems to be working fine, only there is no incoming data, or maybe one packet at the beginning. ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew also doesn't help. But those are still some great ideas, so thank you havock. Can I do anything else, except asking this old lady to restart her router, and be yelled at again:)?

well you should be able to restart it from the config page.

Also, if this is a router accessable to others, I recomend turning off file/printer sharing on your computers, especially since it sounds as if there is no security measures in place.

I restarted the router remotely from setup page. And YES it works!!!!:) Obviously the most useful solutions are those right in front of you. Thanks for your help. You saved me from that crazy old lady:) There couldn't be anything wrong if I reset router that way, right?

Take care. -Nejc

Its odd that you couldn't ping the router, but were still able to access the setup pages, but Im glad you're up and running.

No no, I was using the other computer - the one that works. Tnx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom