10/100 - Equipment & Speed - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyper

Baseband Member
We have several LANs, each with 2 T1's. A Cisco 2950 serves as our MDF.

Each node on each LAN operates (each port on the 2950) operates at 100mbps. However, 1 LAN is operating at 10mbps. I just noticed this tonight. Speed test from Toast.net on this 10mbps LAN are about 500kbs. On the other LANs, speeds are closer to 1100kbps. Could these slower test speeds be due directly to the 10mbps functionality instead of 100? (I know a million other things could factor in).

Second, on this 10mbps LAN, we had to repalce some 2950 (IDF's) that got hit by lightning temporarily with some HP hubs. HUBS, not switches. Could these be the reason all ports are operating at 10mbps instead of 100? Or is it simply due to the configuration of the main distribution frame?

It is hard to pin point the problem without actually seeing it. I am pretty sure that the 10Mbps lan is having a slower internet connection because of the slower lan speed. Perhaps you have an old Driver, try going onto windows update, or alternatively, if you know the make and model of your lan card, visit their website. Perhaps your lan card is faulty. Other than that, I can't really say much more without seeing the problem. I would suggest you call someone in to have a look.

Sorry, I didn't do a good job of making my problem clear. My problem wasn't with a windows machine, it was with the network itself. (I am one of the admins.. just not the MAIN admin obviously). The network has approximately 480 connections.

The problem wais all interfaces were not set to auto-negotiate.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom