1 kbps! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmiller

Solid State Member
Since as long as i can remember my internet has had a good speed ( im not sure of the exact kbps rate). But lately my internet has been running slower:( , and i am just not sure why. I am on Shaw High-Speed Internet (Cable), and my kbps varies from 1-8 :eek: and thats it!.....ANY ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

You must first think of the last thing that was changed on the machine prior to this issue. Any new programs installed or uninstalled ?

Have you run any spyware or AV programs recently ?

just digital camera software, some games from disks (not downloaded) and some registry cleaner software. Other than that the only other thing that i have done is downloaded music. and yes, i do have run antivirus software recently ( Zone Alarm Security Suite). Zone Alarm runs in the system tray and is always on guard. I run the AV and SW tests every couple of days, and it is always fine.

oh yeah btw heres some of my computer info that might help

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 1700 MHz (17 x 100)
Motherboard Name ECS P4S5MG/651+ (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 651
System Memory 256 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/30/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X
Monitor NetLup PRT-701702/701709/951709 [17" CRT] (12371)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Have you tried Shaw's actual download speed tester:

speedtest.shaw.ca

It's a java-based program, that will give you a good idea what your speed is.

If you have a router or anything, bypass it and connect your computer to the modem directly.

If you still get low speeds, with computer direct to modem, then it's time to give your ISP a call.

i downloaded the Java files that you had to get to run the speedtest and i wasnt able to run the speedtest. The instructions said that the test would run right after installation but it did not....so do you have any other ideas.....and better yet, does anyone know what the average kbps rate is for Shaw High-Speed Cable....if i got those statistics then i could figure out how far off my connection is from being stable.

it also depends on the website, and the time of day you are using the internet

at 11:30 PM, it would be fast, at least it is for me

may be you can try changing ur client thru which u connect to the net...

u can try a higher version, that could possibly help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom