You watch, Soon Microsoft will try to start Selling Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
no restart for updates on linux? hmm, i guess i overlooked this.
Linux updates that require a restart are new kernels, which come once a month.
You can actually even inject kernel patches into a running kernel, almost nothing requires a restart so long as your knowledge of the OS and it's components is wide enough. Hotmail used to be run on a farm of BSD/Unix/Linux boxes, there was a huge debacle with leaked emails from MS when they started plans to migrate to IIS; no one wanted it to happen and it was only done for image reasons.

You can actually even inject kernel patches into a running kernel, almost nothing requires a restart so long as your knowledge of the OS and it's components is wide enough. Hotmail used to be run on a farm of BSD/Unix/Linux boxes, there was a huge debacle with leaked emails from MS when they started plans to migrate to IIS; no one wanted it to happen and it was only done for image reasons.

Hotmail is owned by Microsoft now, is it not?

AFAIK Hotmail has always been owned by Microsoft. They just used to host it on Linux boxes but switched it to the far less secure Microsoft Server boxes.

Yeah but who actually used Hotmail back in 1997? Back then they had MSN accounts and Hotmail didnt become a thing till they killed off the MSN branding. That was mid 2000's when they did that. Now Hotmail is being killed slowly for Live, which they are now killing for Microsoft Accounts. They just cant keep anything for long...

I actually did, as you could access unix accounts and have a gui!

Yeah your one of the few on this forum that actually remember back that far let alone would keep an email account from then. Even with all of my years I still dont have my first email account anymore. Then again I dont have AOL anymore either. So yeah there are people out there that had it. But their numbers are far fewer than anyone who uses any of the services today. The net was still very young back then and not even AOL had fully taken off by that time.

so quickly that it is changing again. pretty much stripping off "Live" form many softwares

Windows Live branding is dead, hello Microsoft Account - Neowin

Yes if you read the comment you quoted, I actually state that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom