yet another linux question

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilstar187

Baseband Member
ok i have never used anything except windows. i am building a new computer and im thinking of using a linux os. my question is: what programs will run on linux, such as games? also will the normal versions you see that say "windows xp required" operate on linux? and last but not least where to get linux compatible programs.

Programs compiled for windows will not work natively on linux, you need either an emulator or some sort of interface.

Use google to find alternatives to your windows programs, openoffice.org is an alternative to Office XP, firefox/thunderbird for web and email clients, and so on.

Wine provides an interface to the linux API for windows programs, however it only works with a small subset of programs and games. A few games have linux binaries available, however except for those two cases your out of luck.

Remember, it is much better to use an alternative program such as openoffice that will run natively on linux than to try and make all your programs run through wine - you may aswell stick with windows if you intend to do that

actually i have decided to go with xp pro on this comp since i know it well and it is a gaming comp. and im lazy so i dont really want to look for emulators for **** like doom 3, quake 4 etc. but i am also building an experimental machine(the gaming one is gona run me around $2600) that will run on linux and have about as much power as the one im using now which is just a basic emachine. nothing spectacular by any means but it will help me learn linux and such. i probably wont spend more than $600 on it. and with a 52in hdtv sittin next to me here, wtf do i need with a monitor :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom