Yahoo Messenger via Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I really like Knoppix, and it seems to work fine for me (except for some reason I can't get it to load myconfig from a floppy?). One problem with it though, is that I can't exactly install a Linux-version of Yahoo Messenger (and maybe AIM too) if them have them (I know there's a Debian version of Yahoo)... My main computer uses NTFS and it's risky, plus I've never done an installation in Linux (I think I tried once but it wouldn't let me log in as root).

One of the main things I do on the computer is IM people I know, and it's not worth having Linux/Knoppix if I can't use Yahoo or AIM from it.

Does Linux have a built in messenger client that supports Yahoo and maybe AIM as well? I don't use MSN or ICQ so I don't worry about that. I know it's possible because Trillian works fine with simple Yahoo and AIM messaging, so no reason why there can't be a Linux app that can do the same? Possibly that comes with Knoppix?

If so, is it complicated to set up?

And no, no one I talk to would be willing to try different messenger clients. It's Yahoo, or AIM, all the way...

the most popular IM for Linux is GAIM and it does support Yahoo and AIM. Trillian is also available for Linux but it costs if i remember correctly. i personally use Kopete and it works perfect and supports a lot of clients...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom