XP + Ubuntu on a flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRUB is actually easier. GRUB is more forgiving than the Windows bootloader is. But they are both very dependant on number of drives in a system. So using it on another system that doesnt have the same amount of drives will cause you nothing but grief.

If it was for home where your setup wouldnt change. I would say go for it. But seeing as 1 day you can have a system with 1 hard drive and then the very next day have a system with 6 drives in it. Both days you would have to manually get into the system to edit the bootloaders so that the USB would boot.

Yeah. And looking back, I guess it's not a big deal. If the computer is unbootable, it's unbootable... if I have to take it home to bring their data off and do an install, I'd rather do that than sit there in a strange house for nearly 2 hours as I do a fresh install. It's nice sitting at home in your boxers watchin some late night youtube videos from Pearl Jam's 1992 Pink Pop performance and off to your left side on your workbench you have to click "next" every once in a while for XP to continue loading.

That I can relate to, I hate having to sit in some ones house who you don't know going through a install for two hours+ fixing a problem my rule of thumb was 30 min max on sight unless the work had to be carried out there (networking etc) an if I had to stay on a sight for more than 30 min I always got a cup of tea.

Yeah. These people in particular live a half mile away and are friends of the family, so it wasn't that awkward. But I just had **** to do, and when I thought about super-grub and how it didn't work, I wondered about an operating system on a flash drive.

Would an OS on an external USB drive yield any different results? I guess not since it'd still be USB 2.0 for both instances...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom