XGL + Compiz Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
Right now I am running 3 monitors, but is it possible to have a seperate session or something for XGL and Compiz that only uses one? I really don't know much about XGL and Compiz, but I am assuming all I would need to do is have it launch X with a seperate configuration file?

If this wouldn't be too hard, does anyone know of a good guide for installing them?

Thanks,
~Greg

You would need 2 xservers, one running on one monitor and the other running on the other two, and no top of that, you'd need one GDM running XGL on one monitor and another GDM running on the other two.

That souns like somehting that would be really really complicated... You can run XGL in a window using xnest...

I'll try it out and post back.

Yeah, but I guess I don't need to use all three at once. It'd be fine with me if I was able to switch from 3 monitors with Gnome to 1 with XGL + Compiz. Does XGL use Xorg at all?

Oh, and Xnest doesn't open in a new window for me, it gives an error. This is probably either from the 3 monitors in my xorg.conf, or just me sucking at editing the xorg.conf.
Code:
Cannot start new display

The X server failed.  Perhaps it is not configured well.
heh

It does work to just open a new login, though.

Yeah it sounds like xnest is broken, I followed this "How To" and XGL/Compiz is working perfectly. I can't play any GL games, but that's to be expected since XGL and Compiz are still really in need of development.

BTW this is with Ubuntu 6.06.1 on an nvidia card.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=131267

Other than this and what I've figured out just by playing around in the gconf-editor, I know 0 about how XGL works.

Alright, thanks. If I cant get this to work like I would like it to, I think I might just dual-boot Debian and install XGL/Compiz on that. Would I be able to read files off my Ubuntu partition (ext3) if I did this?

I have been wanting to try out Debian for a while now, but I would rather just run it under Ubuntu for now. I don't really want to have to reinstall all my programs and all that right now.

I will most likely work on this project this weekend, so I will post back with how it goes.

No, it's harder to get it to work in Debian than in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, you can just apt-get all the stuff, in Debian its really difficult.

Ah, okay. I will try on Ubuntu (most likely tomorrow), but if that fails would it work to go get the Ubuntu .deb packages and install them under Debian?

No, I tried it and it totally messed things up. The Ubuntu mesa packages totally don't work in Debian for some reason. I went from getting 500fps in WolfET to getting 9fps. And XGL/Compiz never ended up working. In Ubuntu, I just apt-got some stuff, wrote a simple shell script and edited my xorg.conf and gdm.conf and it worked fine.

Okay, thanks for all the help. I will probably make a script and some launchers to change between 2 xorg.conf files, and therefore change between 3 monitors for normal use and 1 for XGL/Compiz. I am hoping I will have time tonight to work on this.

Bah, I got to the part where you apt-get everything, but it returns the following error:
Code:
greg@Compy:~$ sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl compiz-gnome cgwd cgwd-themes csm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package cgwd is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package cgwd has no installation candidate
greg@Compy:~$

I added the extra repos, do you have any idea what the problem is?

EDIT: Note that I am using this guide (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/XGL/Compiz_Nvidia_32bit) becuase it says to in the Ubuntu Forums post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom