X-Server won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellertson

Beta member
Hi all, I just loaded Red Hat AS 2.1 successfully. The first time I rebooted it came up fine and loaded the graphical login interface.

Now when I reboot it boots up to a text based login prompt. I can login as root or other user accounts, but I'm not sure how to get it to use the graphical interface.

I was using Gnome as the desktop environment. Any suggestions?

Thanks

not yet

I haven't yet. I'm a totaly noob to linux. Last version of unix I used was Solaris 2.3.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Is it in the man pages or can you include some kind of syntax / usage?

Thanks

just plain startx

if it comes up with errors, X will need configured, for that try xorgconfig, or xf86config.........they may be variations on those, uppercase or lower case and/or different spelling sometimes, depends on distro and version of X, use the tab key to probe and find out

that sort of worked

That did start up the X-Server for a single session. I'd like it to start the X-Server for multiple users at boot up. It used to start a graphical login prompt. Anyone know how to switch that back on permanently?

In Red Hat as root at the command line type init 5 this will set your default runlevel at 5 , that is the one you want for the GUI.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or you can go to /etc/ and edit the inittab file by changing the Default runlevel to 5. Personlly I prefer runnlevel 3 and when I must use the GUI I will do a startx. But thats just me, You do what s best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom