Wubi Ubuntu Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Solution

Baseband Member
Anyone here ever use the Wubi ubuntu installer?

A friend of mine used it, said its good, does what it says. It basically installs ubuntu on a PC, and makes it dual bootable with Ubuntu and whatever else. I want to use but thought I'd get the TF opinion on it first. I was planning to install it with Win 7 64 bit. I assume this will work. I know I need windows installed before I install Ubuntu.

Here is the link to the installer: Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Thanks

I installed win7 on my laptop, then put on Ubuntu and there wasn't any issue. Grub makes dual booting and selecting an OS super easy so I wouldn't bother with other installers and all that when the regular install works fine.

I installed win7 on my laptop, then put on Ubuntu and there wasn't any issue. Grub makes dual booting and selecting an OS super easy so I wouldn't bother with other installers and all that when the regular install works fine.

Doing it in that order should always yield positive results. It's when you do it backwards that Windows decides to step on ya.

I know that windows with other windows installs tends to work out, server 08 and win7 play nicely in the boot loader.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I suppose the advantage would be the ease of the installation, and theres no need to burn the image to a DVD. I went ahead and used this last night. Its really just two clicks. Going into it I wasn't really sure how to install Ubuntu and make it dual bootable with Win 7. The install was very easy, no problem what so ever. When my computer boots I can choose between W7 or Ubuntu, if I choose nothing after a few sec. it boots to windows. To uninstall just go to add or remove programs (or whatever its called in win7, I forget atm) from the control panel. I'm not really sure how this compares to a regular install as I am very much a novice with Linux and have never really installed it outside of school. I'd probably recommend this to others like myself, but for Linux veterans it may not be needed. The install took about an hour and a half on my slow 1.5 Mb connection, and takes about 17 GB of HD space.

On a side note here is an amusing quote from the wubi FAQs you guys may enjoy:
What is the relationship between Linux and Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is an operating system that includes a lot of free and open source applications and uses Linux as its core. Linux is like this amazing solar-powered engine that can be used in a street car, in a F1 or it can be daisy chained to drive a truck or an airplane. Ubuntu is like a car using the Linux engine, a zero emission, fully accessorised and easy to drive all-terrain, with power, acceleration and looks matching far more expensive supercars... Imagine something like that... ...for free.

Linux and Ubuntu have the same relationship that Linux has with any other distro.

Linux is not an operating system. It is the kernel. It's the brain, the core, the "guts". That's all Linux is.

Distros (distributions, aka different versions of Linux operating systems) are built overtop of the Linux kernel, such as:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Fedora
openSuSE
PCLinuxOS
Red Hat
Debian
etc

Imagine this... imagine that every car in America ran on the same engine, but you still had differences - Jeep, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Toyota, etc. All the same engine (Linux), but different cars (make/model, etc).

That's the relationship between Ubuntu and Linux.

Wubi is advantageous in that it lets you remove ubuntu from the add/remove software. I believe it also uses a virtual partition rather than a normal one which prevents the possibility of data loss. Not entirely sure, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom