Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
It's a simple question. I know that there mostly isn't any due to the popularity of directX and And the Windows programming envoronment is more popular n' everything, But it seems to me that most GNU/LINUX OS's like Debian are more equipped as an OS than anything Microsoft makes. (besides the apperant shortage of drivers for ATi cards,) But that's just my opinion.

What do you guys think? :confused: :cool:

As an OS Linux is good, and IMO would be a better games platform. But because games are mainly made for Windows and MAC, Linux can't really compete, unless you use something like WINE. Thats why people who like games and Linux duel boot with Windows for the games. Which is a shame. I haven't tried it, but I'd like to see what UT2004 is like on Linux. A rare thing as it plays on all platforms.

Yes it would be better if only for the simple fact that linux can be compiled from source for the hardware it runs on, windows binaries are compiled for the lowest common denominator it has to run on. Not a huge difference cause most games are closed source and precompiled but the rest of the system with linux at least isnt.

Another issue is task scheduling under linux is far better, it handles big loads better, which when the multithreaded games to take advantage of multi-core CPU's start becoming mainstream it would show up there too.

openGL is a well tested,stable, and very capable graphics API........up until a couple years ago directX still wasnt stable or very good

It's just a reflection of the Monopoly style grip that Microsoft has on the world. It really sucks, but thats the way it is and until something happens in the game developers and they switch to OpenGL I think we're stuck with what Windows has done some of the best at hogging.

But, if the Microsoft monopoly continues on the gaming market, then existing developers will not change to OGL, because of the coming Windows Vista (which filters EVERYTHING thru DX...)

So, I'd like to see it done, but I'm afraid it won't happen.

actually its sort of already happening..........in the console market

IBM recently released their multicore/multicpu development kit, and guess what, its based on a linux kernel !!

I get higher fps on Linux in games for Linux and Windows.

If you want good gaming performance in Linux, you MUST get a Nvidia card. ATI's simply suck ;)

Why haven't we been seeing a switch then? Would you think ease of use is better on Windows?

If a game is OpenGL, it will work well in Linux. DirectX9 games wont run in Linux and unfortunately most games run in DirectX 9.

Sorry, as long as Microsoft is forcing game developers to use DX9, Linux will never be a gaming OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom