Wireless NIC..Which OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most distro's support a majority of wireless cards, I think most all linksys cards are supported...

I have a WPC11 pcmcia card for my laptop, it works like a charm!

Guess I'll give it another shot, wish me luck, I love Linux for its flexibility.. I just hope i can use the internet when i get it installed :D Thanks Shan.

RyanOldw83
Just as a side note. I have had a problem with some distros of Linux when using a wireless combo card. Like the Proximo Orinoco A/B/G combo. I know that Knoppix-STD and Corel don't like the combo cards.
But if you use a card with the PRISM chipset, like Linksys cards, then you should be fine.

-Michael

The WMP54g uses a Broadcom chipset, which isn't widely supported by Linux yet. According to This Page there's a commercial (not free) solution that you could use for the time being. I have a WMP54g in my desktop box, but I haven't had time to test it in Linux yet. Overall it's a great card, but if you don't NEED 54mbps, you'd be better off getting something with a Prism chipset which is supported by most distros right out of the box.

Thanks for the info. I'll be building a new computer next month so I'll just wait til then to use Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom