Wireless Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueYetti13

Solid State Member
Yet another topic of me asking for help:
So, I have installed Slackware 10.2 on my desktop with KDE. Since my Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card is not supported by native linux kernels, I installed MadWifi. At this point, my computer recognizes the existance of the card (the connection is labeled 'ath0'). When i open up the KWifi Manager, it shows that the card sees my wireless Belkin wireless router and has a connection to it.

I downloaded the newest version i found of dhclient (V3.0.3 i believe) and used it to obtain an IP address. I checked with one of my other comps to see what the router said and the router was able to recognize that 192.168.2.4 (the slackware comp) was connected to the router. However, i am unable to even ping anything (other than my router) from the slackware comp. I am guessing i have to type something into rc.inet1.conf (forgive any n00bishness...I've had linux for less than 3 days). I believe netconfig was supposed to do this for me....but that was only if the card was recognized by the kernel right away.

So, my questions are, Am I correct in believing that editing rc.inet1.conf will solve the problem or is there more that must be done?
Also, what sort of information is recommended that i put in rc.inet1.conf? (there seemed to be many examples in there that i have no clue what some of them do)

Notes that may or may not be important:
1.WEP and all that is unimportant at the moment
2. The router is set for DHCP (not static and whatnot)

Thanks in advance for any help

Well, nevermind....i found out everything worked, i just didnt have a DNS address at all....but i obtained one from my ISP and put it in my etc/resolve.conf

Additional Question: Apparently the DNS addresses i got change, so is there a way to automatically aquire them from my ISP? (my router already does that but linux doesnt seem to want to at the moment)

Edit: Forget the last question also, dhclient didn't address this problem but dhcpcd did so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom