Wireless Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
OK, I am a n00b at linux. I just installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 on my old computer, today. I haven't really messed with it because I first want to get internet access to it. I really want it to have wireless capabilities because I dont wanna run another cable through my house. I've reasearched a little, and ended up getting very very confused. I have 2 different wireless cards to choose from, (kinda would like to get both of them to be able to work) a Linksys WMP11 v4 and a D-Link DWL-G520. I was redirected to this link then I clicked on the "DWL-520 (rev A, B, & E)" then got confused at that link :angry:. Then I read about the WMP11....they said something about "ndiswrapper" like a program that loads Windows drivers for Linux to use. Well, I took a look at this page for the "ndiswrapper" and, yet again, got confused. I know these cards will work, i've read stories on different forums saying that they got them working, but I didn't understand how they got them working.

As you can probably tell, I am quite n00bish when it comes to Linux. So if you can help me out, please dumb it down so I can understand ;)

OK, let me try and walk you thru this.

For the D-Link, download this file:
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre26.tar.gz

Make note of where you save it. Then, open up a terminal, and cd to that directory. Then type in 'gunzip linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre26.tar.gz && tar xvf linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre26.tar'. Hopefully this will go off without a hitch.

Then, once that is done, type 'cd linux-wlan*'. Once in that folder, type './configure', and if it runs without stopping without an error, after it finishes, type 'make && make install'.

Hopefully, that should install drivers for the D-Link.

Good luck.

Ok, tried doin what you said: I got to the part where I type in "./Configure" then I mess up. It asks me 4 questions, I can get past those. But when it gets to the "Linux source directory" question, I get lost. I keep getting the "Linux source tree is incomplete or missing." What do I do? I'm so lost right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom