Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo

Baseband Member
Hello. I installed wine recently and wish to run some programs on my windows drive. trouble is, wine <winprogram>.exe isn't getting me started. I tried cd ~/mnt/vfat, but I can't even cd to that location in the console. Can anybody point out my mistake?
-Much thanks.

If you can't cd to the location of the program then that is your problem. Are you sure you it's not /mnt/vfat? ~/mnt/vfat is the same thing as /home/user/mnt/vfat

Or once you find the location of it instead of cd'ing you could do "wine /location/of/the/program.exe"

Cool, I guess after the last reboot I have the "Open with Wine windows emulator" option in my right-click menu. So that's settled, but now wine is giving me error messages due to missing files or the inability to run a certain module. Is extra configuration necessary before a program will run under wine? It may be obvious, but I'm a total Linux noob.

I also hear that some windows programs will run faster under the emulator than in the authentic OS. I find this really believable as I'm using a dinosaur of the socket 370 era and I'm running programs from the Synaptic Package manager- Santa Claus, as I like to call him- whose windows equivalents would choke and die on this machine. yep... can't get enough of Linux.

Type "winecfg" and you can change a few things, like what operating system it shows up as (XP, 2000, 98, etc.)

Depending on the program it might be really hard to get it running or really easy. I try not to use WINE for things too much.

Run it from the terminal so you can see if it gives you any more error messages or anything. Lots of times programs won't run for me because it is missing a DLL, and those can be found easily on Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom