Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run kde 3.2 with alot of transparentness. taskbar, etc. I leave the console open all the time with transparancy.. I was wondering if its straining my computer. I dont see anything wrong, but im not sure if my cpu is like being used 100% all the time. I noticed a big jump in performance when i finally got 3d rendering to work on a damn ati 9800. is KDE really that bulky? whats the difference winxp and kde

i notice java-based programs are launching hella slow. mozilla takes a good 4 seconds to launch.

NIN said:
how do you browse the filesystem with fluxbox?

I use midnight commander, its text based and similar to the old norton commander, and its easily customized

there are other filemanagers out there, fluxbox isnt an integrated environment like GNOME or KDE

mikesgroovin said:
i just have to ask......why "windows envirnment"??!!

Well acording to my linux+ book they say that the actual windows manager for Gnome is sawfish and the enviroment it Gnome. An enviroment in not required it just has come packaged tools. Kde uses the kwm window manager. Elightenment is just a window manager.

so does fluxbox come with its own filesystem browser or do i have to install it. seem to do a good job otherwise. I may try KDE and see how I like it, according to the poll people like it.

BTW, anyone heard of XFCE, light wieght manager that comes in the fedora distro.

xfce,blackbox,fluxbox,iceWM,NeXsTep,windowmaker,GNOME,KDE,there's a whole bunch of GUI's out there

GNOME and KDE are the only ones with integrated filemanagers and other apps Im aware of.Some of them like GNOME and KDE are built on top of a window manager, in that sense, thats what fluxbox is, just a window manager or GUI, only native apps it comes with involve customizing and managing it.

With fluxbox and many of the others a filemanager or anything else is a separate app.

That is what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up. That explains why gnome is more heavy.

Gnome and KDE have libraries that go with them, and a few are pretty resource hungry.If you want to see what comes with them, goto slackware.com, then click packages, and then navigate to the gnome and kde directories, slackware has each package available for download with a description of what each is and does.

Now, you can run gnome and kde apps w/o having all of either installed, just the dependent libraries are needed.For example, I like gftp as an ftp client, so ive a few of the gnome libraries installed so I can run it under fluxbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom