Windows 7 & Linux dual-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
On Thursday I will be joining the ranks of Windows 7 users - my upgrade will arrive. :D

I already know that Windows should be on the HDD before Linux, but my question is, can you see any problems with just setting up a partition for Linux, and then installing it on that partition ? I mean in terms of the NTLDR -vs- GRUB thing ? I just don't want to have complications dual-booting betweeb Win7 and Linux. Well, I just would like to keep complications to a minimum anyway.

Thanks !

By the way, is linux already installed? Or are you going to install it too? If you're going to install it the don't forget to install windows first and then linux. If not you'll have to restore grub. Here is explained how you do it.

You dont have to use GRUB. Can easily just get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and add a Linux entry for GRUB and use the BCD as your boot loader.

You dont have to use GRUB. Can easily just get EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and add a Linux entry for GRUB and use the BCD as your boot loader.

If you have Vista or 7 dual booting with Linux and then you run a Windows repair, what will happen to EasyBCD? Does it remain intact, along with the Linux entry?

If you have Vista or 7 dual booting with Linux and then you run a Windows repair, what will happen to EasyBCD? Does it remain intact, along with the Linux entry?

Well since Vista nor Win7 have the repair feature built in that is tough to answer. :tongue:

If you run a Restore Point from before, then no. If you run Startup Repair then most likely not. But honestly, it is just clicking like 3 or 4 things to get Linux added back. Not really that tough.:thumbsup:

By the way, is linux already installed? Or are you going to install it too? If you're going to install it the don't forget to install windows first and then linux. If not you'll have to restore grub. Here is explained how you do it.

Yeah I know, I was waiting to install the latest Ubuntu release because I wanted to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 which I just finished about 1/2 hour ago. After I get situated with Win 7 then I am going to install Ubuntu as well. Ahhh life is good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom