wierd sound problems with linuxmint

risingvendetta

Solid State Member
Hi,

recently I created a dualboot with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and the most recent LinuxMint KDE.

They are both on the same HDD. I have the grub screen to choose which OS.

IDK why but I needed a change and for some reason internet appears better on LM than Win?

This is my current problem with LM:
I have a video card with hdmi that is connected to a hdtv as a monitor. Sound ONLY comes from the headphone jack on the computer. Sound will not come out of tv speakers.

What's odd is I have to plug the headphone to the mic jack instead of the headphone jack to make it work?

If I use headphones, the sound controller does nothing. It is set to max regardless.

also, if I choose to uninstall LM, how do i do that properly not hurting windows 7?
Thanks.

Last edited:
- Internet appears better on linux than windows....Do you mean performance is better on windows? The output should be the same, however you may have programs running in the background for windows which could be bogging down your speeds. Linux distros tend to be a little bit cleaner cut which would result in more free bandwidth for your consumption. However, many other reasons could explain this, I will need more info and perhaps the results from bandwidth speed tests on each distro.

- From what I can remember, I believe the sound control menu should have an option to use sound through HDMI rather than your default jack. I would look into this first.

- So no sound comes from the headphone jack for speakers or just headphones? Also, is this consistent for both win7 and LM?

Uninstalling LM depends on how you installed it. If you installed Win7 first and then partitioned the HD and installed LM on a second primary partition, you can just delete the partition. However if you installed LM with something like (WUBI) from an active windows session, you should be able to uninstall it just like a program, while I do not know the steps currently, I'd be happy to look into it. But in the event you installed windows after LM, thinks get tricky, while I don't know the specifics, but windows does not adapt well when it is not located on the first primary partition without an existing partition with a boot loader. Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing back with your progress. - Rube

lol, I'm sorry you lost me a tad.

The computer is my first custom build pc. Surpringly enough probably 4-5 yrs old? It's good, but sometimes internet snags down a bit. I believe it is a DNS error via Verizon Fios.

It happens sometimes but that's just how it is. Sometimes things get stuck halfway. I believe it is more of verizon. However, I replace Windows xp on my laptop with Win7 then replace it with LM, and it runs fast.

So, I figure, if my gaming machine had this as a dual boot.... Internet is slight faster. I know it's probably silly having multiple OS. But I like having LinuxMint here.

This is how LM got on this computer:
I shrunk Windows 7 as small as it would allow me in disc management. and when installing LM KDE, I installed it to 20gb or so on left over space.

The rest of the HDD was converted to data and have shifted all my docutments to the now drive X. (Makes using cross compatible files easier.)

So the 1.5TB HDD is:
|---Win sys. reseve--||---------------------win7----------||--------------drive x for data--------------|| LM||LM swap space_

How do I tell LM to do sound via HDMI?

It;s wierd I have two front jacks for sound and mic. In LM the mic jack works for sound. In Win7 sound works fromt the headphone jack not mic.

Sound does not come from tv via LM. Only from the MIC jack. Which doesn't make sence.

When sound comes out from mic jack???? It's on full and lowering volume VAI LM does not work.

Windows however, is running fine.

Back
Top Bottom