Why use linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xven

Baseband Member
Hi. Though this may sound like a really bland question, and it is, I'm really intrigued by the whole linux word, but I can't seem to find a reason enough to work with it. I am in everyway a newbie to the world of UNIX O/S and other software alike. What does linux offer? Why do I see this rave going on about linux? I've read through many articles and everything, but have not yet found the answer to my question.

Which brings me to my question here: Why do you use linux? What does it offer? Is there much potential for it? Is it worth working on installing a whole new O/S? Also do you need to be good with programming, etc.

If someone could just find the time to answer something here, it's much appreciated. Thanks, and looking forward to be part of this community!

It's a new challenge. I've used Windows and Mac OS for at least a decade, and Linux poses a new challenge. Being that it is a server and development OS, it's difficulty is fun to me.

Plus, it's more stable, and on older hardware, can run faster than Windows.

I think if you are up to the challenge, you should go for it. Start with a simple distro, then work up to something more complex.

Lets see main reasons for using it

If you want a challenge
If you are a l33t developer
If you want to be a web server (MS has apache too though).
If you cannot afford a mac or win OS
If you like command line alot

Rock solid stabilty
lowest cost of ownership than any other OS
killer apps for video work
can be setup to do damn near anything
software is free and open source
viruses and worms are a non issue
best networking tools available
handles heavy CPU loads better than windows
multiple GUI's to choose from
its modular
you can use it to design your own OS
rarely needs updated

ok, work with it, use vmware if you will.. If you don't wanna try new stuff, then don't try linux.. If it floats your boat, run it, otherwise don't :D

If you ask linux/unix geeks, they (me included)'ll the same thing over and over and over again... more security, more fun, free, customization, and best of all, it's the ticket into the geek circle..

There are quite a few counterpoints for using linux, i guess i'll let the MS fanboys answer those :D

If you've used windows for a long time and have been stuck with a bland as f'ck GUI using a very outdated API I recommend, like the bloke said above that you start with a very simple distro using KDE or another unmatched GUI, the reason Linux kicks the sh't out of windows is of course... the price it's free open source and a bloody stable operating system, I recommend that you try alot of different distros, you will eventually find one that suits your needs, as for saying why switch, why not, Linux is 1000 times more stable than windows, why do you think no server operator would even think of using windows as it's unstable inpracticle and if you think about it probabbly one of the slowest operating systems ever to be created. You may say, well then why does everyone use Windows, the answer is simple because they probabbly dont know any better, generally cant be arsed to switch and dont know enough to install it, Windows is just trying to gain money and fame, Linux is not trying to be anything it's not, if you dont want to switch operating systems then dont, do a trial run partition your HDD make an EXT3 partition and have a look what Linux can offer, it's a far lot better than Windows if you look at it in perspective.
Anyway at the end of the day it is YOUR choice, but if you want to be paying money for an OS then get Windows or MACOS but if you want a far superior operating system go for Linux there are 100's of distros out there tailor made to your specifications.
Remember it is YOUR choice.
I personally use Slackware 9, dont say update because I am a lazy b'stard and cannot personally be arsed.
That's a long enough rant about Linux from me, take care mate.

Well then, that's reason enough for me to try this flavour out. Can anyone suggest a distro for an absolute noob, not only to linux but the whole unix thing. As mentioned, there are 100's of distro's and I really couldn't understand much out of them. Also, I plan to run this on my old POS computer which has specs like PII(300 Mhz), 320 RAM, 8MB vid card, etc. So taking that linux does support lower specs, is there a distro well suited for this. Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciated.

xven said:
Well then, that's reason enough for me to try this flavour out. Can anyone suggest a distro for an absolute noob, not only to linux but the whole unix thing. As mentioned, there are 100's of distro's and I really couldn't understand much out of them. Also, I plan to run this on my old POS computer which has specs like PII(300 Mhz), 320 RAM, 8MB vid card, etc. So taking that linux does support lower specs, is there a distro well suited for this. Thanks for all the input so far guys, really appreciated.
I've heard a lot of people recommend ubunta for starters.

whoa dude, you got 320 mb of ram on a pII??

anyhow, your processor prob can't handle kde very well, but you can try.. I would recommend at most enlightenment, or fluxbox for your GUI.. As far as distro is concerned, you can use just about anything, prob ubuntu/mepis/mandriva is a good start? Just remember to change when KDE runs slowly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom