Why should i use linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMosh

Baseband Member
Hey guys

Ive recently found my old desktop in my house,now its 4 years old,its pretty basic i mainly used it for my pc gaming days,then call of duty 4 came out,and i had an xbox 360,it was more expensive uprgrading the ram and getting a new graphics card,so i choose the 360 for my gaming needs.

anyways thats besides the point,the point is why should i go for linux? ive seen some youtube videos and demonstrations,it looks fantastic,im just wondering about what makes it so stable,good,and does it have software problems,i.e stuff like games that can only run on windows and general software like photoshop etc

Hope you guys can help me out

as always thanks iMosh

Well you should really know that Linux can be just as unstable as Windows. A simple mixup of your xorg.conf file can cause your system to never be used again cause you cant get your video working. I know cause i have done it many times.

Plus only a few games work perfectly with Wine and Linux. They also take some work to get working properly. You cant even do Photoshop. The last version i seen install in Linux was Version 7 which was before they started the Creative Suite lineup.

So i dont know what exactly it is your looking for when asking these questions. Cause you are too vague and to general for any real answers. What is it you want to do with the PC? What games do you want to play? What programs do you want to run? What are the specs? We need a bit more info to be of any use to you.

pros for linux

free, open source, lots of free programs

cons

harder to find tech support, lower amount of programs being developed, still not as usable as Windows (greater knowledge about computer required to use linux)

i say if you were looking to setup a network server, i' might suggest linux first. the main reson is that you don't need to pay for a license and a lot of people have built large amounts of network servers (web, ftp, samba, IDS, etc)

check Howtoforge.com for popular uses of linux

HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Based on personal experience, I would stand firm that Linux is more stable than the competition. Not that (to pick on Microsoft as an example) Windows is unstable, but I find I have far less trouble in Linux than Windows. Example - I was at my buddy's house today. He turned on his monitors (running Windows 7) after coming home from work. The monitors lit up. Blue screen. Why? It was sitting idle. Really? Did he get a BSOD while idle? Yes.

Also - Photoshop (according to what I heard) works flawlessly under Wine, thanks to Google contributing money for developers to code for it. But that's just heresay - I haven't personally used it.

@Mak - What did you do to your xorg file when you were tinkering with it? I've never even tinkered my xorg file, except through the Nvidia-Settings GUI. Of all my years running Linux, this is one thing I have not yet encountered. Speaking of which, if I remember correctly there is a command you can type in while in console mode (if you lost your xorg file) to rebuild one on the fly, therefore putting you back into operation.

I like Linux simply because... I can do what I want. I have far more control over my system and I can tweak far more than I ever knew was possible. It's a free operating system and surprisingly has by far the best forum support I've seen. I still have open questions on the Windows forums I keep bumping up that are unresolved, dating back to August 2009.

I find knowing Linux is a valuable thing. In fact, knowing Mac as well is a valuable thing. And - you guessed it. Knowing Microsoft is a valuable thing too. Think about this from a business standpoint. There are pros/cons to every platform. Despite the fact 100% of what I do can be done in Linux with ease, that doesn't mean EVERYBODY will have smooth sailing with Linux. Some will prefer Windows, some will prefer Mac. Just KNOWING other platforms is extremely valuable. At work we utilize Windows and Linux servers because there are pros/cons to every scenario. Mixing it up a little bit isn't a bad idea. In my opinion, it's healthy to match up the right tool for the right job.

Linux is known for its stability and security, which is why it was widely bred as a server operating system for so many years (and still is). Only in the last few years has it picked up popularity among the desktop users. Commercial support is available for a cost, but in my experience isn't really needed due to the quality of forum support I've had. There's also a lot of documentation out there to read up on. Not to mention, once you get the hang of the operating system, there's an endless supply of free and open source applications that you can learn about and utilize. You might feel right at home, considering Google Earth, Firefox, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Audacity, Pidgin, Gimp, and several other similar programs are already ported to Linux. Linux is relatively easy to install and really isn't bad to get going. I've done side by side comparisons with getting a Windows box set up as well as a Linux box set up, and I really think most Linux distros have definitely come much closer to being grandma-approved. Granted, there's a ton of advanced things you can do that basic users would be lost over, but the same goes for Windows. Ever try to uninstall a program, and it fails to uninstall, requiring you to edit and delete all of the registry keys associated with it? I have. Many times. Tell a basic user to do that and watch their eyes light up.

My point is Windows and Linux can be used by both basic users and power users. It just depends how you utilize the tools in front of you for the tasks you want to accomplish. I would never expect a basic user to do advanced things in Linux, just like I wouldn't expect a basic user to do any advanced things in Windows. But at the same time, basic users on both Linux and Windows can still accomplish basic tasks with relative ease.

Give it a shot. Even if it's not your main OS, it's good to know. Knowledge is power, and is something that is worth overdosing on. :p

Jayce, I know you like linux (and every regular knows I am a Unix guy) but I have to correct you on this -

Linux is known for its stability and security, which is why it was widely bred as a server operating system for so many years (and still is).

Sorry but no, while it is true that the unix family was originally designed to run time sharing systems (like thin clients) and thus act like a server Linux was designed as a desktop OS back in the 80's based on the then SunOS (now solaris) it was only in the education sphear that Linux was taken seriously by students who wanted a unix system at home and was eventually used as a SERIOUS server OS in the early day's of the .com bubble because alot of students who where founding internet based company's chose linux.
Sorry I know it's only a minor thing but the factual history is much better than supposition.

Jayce, I know you like linux (and every regular knows I am a Unix guy) but I have to correct you on this -

Linux is known for its stability and security, which is why it was widely bred as a server operating system for so many years (and still is).

Sorry but no, while it is true that the unix family was originally designed to run time sharing systems (like thin clients) and thus act like a server Linux was designed as a desktop OS back in the 80's based on the then SunOS (now solaris) it was only in the education sphear that Linux was taken seriously by students who wanted a unix system at home and was eventually used as a SERIOUS server OS in the early day's of the .com bubble because alot of students who where founding internet based company's chose linux.
Sorry I know it's only a minor thing but the factual history is much better than supposition.

I have no doubt that what you're telling me is true, but what Linux was originally intended for and what Linux was widely used as could very well be two different things. In the few short years I've been in the IT field, stability + security are easily in the top 5 reasons as to why I've seen people switch to the Linux platform for servers. So ultimately, regardless of how Linux was originally intended to be used, (which you informed us about above) the reality of its popularity still stands true, also mentioned above. ;)

I have no doubt that what you're telling me is true, but what Linux was originally intended for and what Linux was widely used as could very well be two different things. In the few short years I've been in the IT field, stability + security are easily in the top 5 reasons as to why I've seen people switch to the Linux platform for servers. So ultimately, regardless of how Linux was originally intended to be used, (which you informed us about above) the reality of its popularity still stands true, also mentioned above. ;)

In the long period of time I have been using unix like OS's I can say that linux while it has market penetration you have a serious fluctuation in security and stability, while some distros like RedHat take both seriously others such as ubuntu only take it seriously when they feel like it, yes it makes a nice noob friendly introduction to unix it sucks balls when it comes to server operations compared to debian.

Yes the linux kernal is popular but banging on about security and when talking about the stock kernal it is Linus and Co do a VERY good job but each distribution modifiys the code, bugs and flaws creep in and BANG insecurity. As you and I BOTH know nothing is perfect and nothing is totaly secure but I feel that running a default config of linux open to the network is a hideous idea and most new users do that because they think they are safe.

In the long period of time I have been using unix like OS's I can say that linux while it has market penetration you have a serious fluctuation in security and stability, while some distros like RedHat take both seriously others such as ubuntu only take it seriously when they feel like it, yes it makes a nice noob friendly introduction to unix it sucks balls when it comes to server operations compared to debian.

Yes the linux kernal is popular but banging on about security and when talking about the stock kernal it is Linus and Co do a VERY good job but each distribution modifiys the code, bugs and flaws creep in and BANG insecurity. As you and I BOTH know nothing is perfect and nothing is totaly secure but I feel that running a default config of linux open to the network is a hideous idea and most new users do that because they think they are safe.

Yeah - I definitely see where you're coming from. RHEL is a different beast in itself though (at least in my opinion). They are all about stability and security, and promote it as such and do an excellent job at it. Then you have the polar opposite, with Fedora being so bleeding edge often times it can be a headache with incompatibility issues (installed it on 5 machines, 3 failed with various problems. What luck.) But then you have Ubuntu, that sits somewhere in between stability and bleeding edge. I've never had Ubuntu crash. Ever. But I wouldn't be as ballsy to say it's as stable as Debian or Red Hat. However, Ubuntu "chooses" to be more stable with LTS releases for obvious reasons, leaving the 6 month interval releases to be more of a testing playground. Kind of a different balance when compared to RHEL/Fedora's relationship, but still a similar principle.

But at the same token, I definitely see what you're saying. The funny thing is, I've spent a significant amount of time on Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, openSUSE, and a few others. I haven't really seen how Ubuntu is more noob friendly. I can understand that argument with Linux Mint, considering it's pretty much "ready to go" when you fire it up. Every Linux OS I get into I seem to be able to do the exact same thing in 1 as I did in another with only a few minor differences. Is that to say I'd run Linux Mint as a core server? No. But when it comes to desktop installs with the top 5 Linux distros out there, I've found them to be relatively similar in terms of figuring out what I'm doing. Then again, it's all relatively the same under the hood, with each distro's refinements sitting on top.

I guess that's where the beauty of Linux comes in, and why it's so hard to suggest a winning distro to somebody. Everybody is different, everybody has different needs. As such, each distro is different. My buddy loves Linux Mint. Why? It does what he needs. My cousin loves Fedora. Why? Because he's all about RPM distros and Fedora is one of the top RPM distros out there.

pros for linux
free, open source, lots of free programs

Free? Yes, positive.
Open Source? For the typical home, end user, its not any sort of tangible benefit initially.
Lots of free programs? I think Windows operating systems would actually have more available.

Free? Yes, positive.
Open Source? For the typical home, end user, its not any sort of tangible benefit initially.
Lots of free programs? I think Windows operating systems would actually have more available.

Oooooooo... interesting statement there.

There's almost 2,200 programs for download in the Ubuntu Software Center. I wonder how many others aren't in it that are on sourceforge, PPA repos, etc that would add to it.

Now you got me a little curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom