Why researching hardware and peripheral support is important for any operating system, including Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally concur on he hp 6500... I picked one up for $60 bucks, no wifi, to replace my old 6700, and used it till a decent deal on a wifi asll -in-one was out. I picked up an 8600 pro.

It is VERY sturdy, and the flat bed opens so wide you could scan a baby on it! Something the lesser models can't do.

The solution to my problem is simple. I'm going to return the Canon (of course, not before I email them telling them they just lost a customer) to Wal Mart and purchase an HP or Epson of some sort after I do some quick googling.

I'm not too sure about the laser printer market but in my humble opinion Epson's inkjet range has gone to crap I've seen a lot of unreliable Epson inkjets in the last few years. I've had good experience with HP under Linux and network printer setups and overall I think Brother printers probably have the best Linux support out if you're keen to look into them, they actively support Linux drivers.

I'm not too sure about the laser printer market but in my humble opinion Epson's inkjet range has gone to crap I've seen a lot of unreliable Epson inkjets in the last few years. I've had good experience with HP under Linux and network printer setups and overall I think Brother printers probably have the best Linux support out if you're keen to look into them, they actively support Linux drivers.

I've seen a lot of good from Brother too when it comes to Linux drivers. They were one I was strongly considering, but I was very specific about the price I wanted to pay and Staples really only had higher end Brother's when I looked. I've used Epson in the past and I've had nothing but good experience with them, so it didn't phase me to give them another shot. We used to have a bunch of Epson's at work and I never really had an issue with them. The only issue I ever had with my personal one was when some orange soda said hello thanks to a little 4 legged furball passing by. So far, I'm pretty darn happy with the thing, but it's only been a few days. That said, I still don't expect this unit to come up short. I'm rather confident I'll have it for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom