Why Linux cannot replace Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why can linux not replace windows? simple direct X. its closed and to reverse engineer is 50 years in prison. 90% of the big games out there are DX based, so linux and MacOS and everything else is limited. If we can find a way to shut out DX or to find a superior alternative windows has no technical redeeming qualities.

Um your ignoring the fact that people do more with there computers and game.

Also DX 8.1 and older have been reverse enginered along with a part of of direct X 10.

That's ironic coming from you
Ouch. I just got OWNED!

The tools, the framework (.NET), and the support are currently better than anything else available. Of course, this isn't apparent to you because you haven't experienced it yourself.
False - I have experienced it to a certain extent; I've dabbled with GTK, QT, Visual C++ .NET and Visual BASIC .NET, and I still prefer the opensource choices.

I'll also speak for another developer (semi-professional, it's teaching) - my father; he prefers using Code::Blocks (and I'll admit that it sucks, IMHO) to the .NET studio.

actually the openGL/DX battle has been going on for years. weather one is better than the other i wont say. but the fact is DX has been almost full embraced by the comercial game industry. there have been few big name games that use OpenGl in the last few years, some of them being Halo, and Doom3. these are great games and show its power, but how many more DX agmes are there? i wish DX was dead and we only had open industry standards, but the real world is a harsh one.

Well, not yet and maybe not replace, but certainly with time eat more from their share. For example, Howard County Public Library, MD has just installed 80 linux stations. That means - 80 Windows VISTA licenses and also - 80 MS OFFICES. People will go, with time learn how to use it, try it at home and then maybe buy wii for their kids to play on. Nobody says Windows will disappear, but Linux will surely eat a big chunk of their market. Plus, let's see how those 100-150 USD notebooks do when they are finally launched. I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 7.04 and I love it. I also use Windows XP, but not that much.

Man Rui

actually the openGL/DX battle has been going on for years. weather one is better than the other i wont say. but the fact is DX has been almost full embraced by the comercial game industry. there have been few big name games that use OpenGl in the last few years, some of them being Halo, and Doom3. these are great games and show its power, but how many more DX agmes are there? i wish DX was dead and we only had open industry standards, but the real world is a harsh one.

well DirectX wasn't really embraced. it was forced upon developers. microsoft threw it's weight in to block OpenGL knowing that by doing so they could effectively control the gamers market. it sure worked as these days you hear "i use windows because it's the only gaming OS".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom