Why I think Ubuntu 12.10 Sucks

I'm more of a recent Linux user, but I do love it and I'm definitely a Ubuntu fan. However, I completely agree 12.10 is terrible. Anything involving updating or installing is a pain and 7 times out of 10 it doesn't work; at least not for me. In my opinion, Ubuntu 12.04 beats 12.10 nine ways to Sunday.

With the majority of reviews I came across people tend to think highly of 12.10. I think it's time I fire up a 12.10 instance and see what this discussion is all about. I admittedly haven't used 12.10 that much since 12.04 landed with a 5 year support term (not to mention Unity came out to be pretty awesome in 12.04).

With the majority of reviews I came across people tend to think highly of 12.10. I think it's time I fire up a 12.10 instance and see what this discussion is all about. I admittedly haven't used 12.10 that much since 12.04 landed with a 5 year support term (not to mention Unity came out to be pretty awesome in 12.04).

Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

I'm kind of drawing a blank with 12.10 here. It seems to be working, updating, and operating as I'd expect it to. I'm not really seeing any obvious problems, errors, or.. anything really. It just seems to work.

??

I've had large problems with Unity, hence my move to Mint and Cinnamon.

He also might be using AMD drivers... shudders I have never been able to get them to install correctly. On any distro.

I've had large problems with Unity, hence my move to Mint and Cinnamon.

He also might be using AMD drivers... shudders I have never been able to get them to install correctly. On any distro.

You nailed it there. AMD's drivers suck on any operating system, but Linux reigns king for being the most problematic. AMD changes tons of recent GPU's and pushes them to the legacy branch with an Apple-esque force march forward. It's beyond infuriating, but instead of fighting it, I just choose to not support them.

With using Intel and Nvidia, I have yet to run into any show-stopping problems. Ever since 12.04 landed my Unity frustrations have subsided entirely.

I've never owned an AMD processor... I'm assuming it uses an AMD graphics chip as well? That's where 99.9% of my problems were.

I've never owned an AMD processor... I'm assuming it uses an AMD graphics chip as well? That's where 99.9% of my problems were.

I kind of doubt it. We've been in the dual core arena for quite some time... I'd be surprised if any sort of CPU based GPU functionality exists on any single core. That said, it's very possible he might be rocking an older ATI card...

I like 12.10, it is very polished and fast release. There are only two versions I did not care for which is 11.04 and 11.10.

I think the two keys is understanding that it is not windows so you must learn what applications are available to you and how to use your software center and when needed command line.

Secondly understanding what hardware is best to run on, such as intel cpu, intel or nvidia gpu's. I wouldn't be so quick to hate on the Ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom