Why I think Ubuntu 12.10 Sucks

Talyor

In Runtime
Ubuntu 12.10 sucks to me overall how its looks is great and runs but downloading stuff is a pain the ass I can't download anything because the archieve manager is crap and whenever i click something ont here it won't let me install it. I hope to get windows 7 on here but it won't let me do it on virtual box. Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't have that many games you can run on it but if your just using it for web browsing on a cheap computer its pretty good but not for gamers.

Ubuntu 12.10 sucks to me overall how its looks is great and runs but downloading stuff is a pain the ass I can't download anything because the archieve manager is crap and whenever i click something ont here it won't let me install it. I hope to get windows 7 on here but it won't let me do it on virtual box. Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't have that many games you can run on it but if your just using it for web browsing on a cheap computer its pretty good but not for gamers.

I'm not at all surprised that clicking on something won't let you install it. The best way to install software is through the package manager which can be accessed on the command line or through a number of GUI applications.

Ubuntu will be the only (official) distro to have Steam, that's something ;)

Taylor, are you a first time linux user? I've been using variants of Debian since ~2003-04 (which Ubuntu is based on), once you're familiar with the function of the operating system I find it to be easier in a number of ways. Certainly there's stumbling blocks in converting as a long time user of another OS but that makes it different not worse. For instance I imagine I'm going to have a heck of a time using Windows 8 due to their GUI changes. If you use synaptic you can usually easily search for software to suit your needs from a tried and true repository rather than relying on what could be a poison SEO search result, that counts for a lot in my opinion.

Not being able to download and run applications is a pain. Depending on the exact file you are dealing with you could try going into the properties and setting it as executable then try running it.

Yah im a first time linux user, I just wanted to try it since I couldn't get windows 7 working but now i got windows 7 so now I have no need for ubuntu

Sigh, I miss Ubuntu. I'd be back on it if my video card worked.

Not being able to download and run applications is a pain. Depending on the exact file you are dealing with you could try going into the properties and setting it as executable then try running it.

Fixed that for you :)

Glad I scrolled down a bit more. I was just going to do the exact same thing until I saw you quoted it. ;)

Once you get used to how the software ecosystem works in Linux, you'll be hard pressed to find that it's difficult or less convenient. If anything, each time I have to go out to the web to find and download an application I can't help but to feel entirely 1999 about it. I'd much rather click a few times or punch a few keys into terminal to apt-get whatever application I need.

The games portion is something I can understand your frustration with, but understand something... Linux is fully capable of playing games. If I recall, Ubuntu stood up against Windows 7 very comparably, and when Left 4 Dead developers ported L4D to Ubuntu they saw a tremendous increase in performance. It's the game developers who lack in Linux support that is the real problem, not necessarily Linux itself.

Try not to confuse familiarity with ease of use. Far too often I have people tell me that they think OSX is easiest to use, or Windows 7 is easiest to use. Then when you ask how long they've used either platform, it's a monumental contrast of OSX for 100 years and Windows 7 for 10 minutes, or vice versa. You can't really make a legitimate comparison in judging ease of use on a platform until you've spent a decent chunk of comparable time on it. If you've used OSX for 3 years, but Windows 7 for 2 years... now we're talkin'.

Found this thread via google - I'm a long time Linux user, starting with MKLinux DR3 back in '98 I think it was. I mostly run CentOS.

Built new PC, threw Ubuntu 12.10 on it, horrid experience. I ran 9.0.4 back a few years ago and liked it but 12.10 is crap.

Wanted to use GIMP. Went to that "Dash Home" thing to find where the hell they put it. It game me a list of books. WTH? Did what I *thought* was needed to install it. It even came up asking what additional packages I wanted. Did it actually install though? Nope - had to open a terminal use apt-get to actually grab it.

Downloaded flash, put plugin where it goes. Launched midori (which I had to apt-get for same reason as gimp) - first, midori launched with a homepage on the filesystem that does not exist. Second, did flash work? Nope - had to export the mozilla plugin directory environmental variable.

Ah, now flash works. right? right? Sure if you want no audio.

Put CD in cdrom drive. It launches some GUI (I believe rhythmox) - perfect. I ask it to Extract to disk. It complains it is missing a vorbis plugin.

Um, who the hell ships a desktop distribution without vorbis support?

I ask it to grab it for me, entering my password, it fails to get it and then tells me python needs vorbis plugin.

Sorry, my reasons may be different than the OP - but for me, Ubuntu 12.10 definitely sucks.

Back
Top Bottom