Where can i download linux live boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Yes. Burn it to a CD with ImgBurn. Just like before. Then insert the CD into the tray and boot. That will allow you to shrink down your partition without any interference.

If that doesnt work then i would suggest going back into windows and running a check disk as there may be some bad sectors on your hard drive.

Cheers,
Mak

I have the actual Linux OS on a separate partition. Then, my home directory, is on another partition.

I have my system fully set up. Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64 bit edition. Quite a number of programs installed... Frostwire, Audacious, Audacity, k3b, google earth, thunderbird, vlc, k3b, etc... And my OS partition is 15gb. I have 10gb free.

So, based on that, you can judge accordingly to how much space you will need when you add in the number of 'gb' your pictures and music will take up.

Also - Linux can read NTFS, however, it cannot write to it. I've been told with an additional plugin, installed via 'synaptic package manager', can be installed to grant write access to Linux so you can write to NTFS partitions. You may want to look into that... it sound possible to have all of your music and pictures on XP, however, Linux be able to read/write to that partition.

But I don't have much experience with that. Linux has always been my primary OS. XP's only place on my system is for gaming. :)

for several versions now Ubuntu has had NTFS read/write functionality inbuilt.

If your partition resize fails, try Defragmenting your Windows partition first. I've found that badly fragmented drives often fail to repartition (due to the scattered data that may or may not be in the location you're trying to free). Defragmenting cleans up the data so that it's in an easier-to-manage form, thus the partitioner will work better.

As for Linux partition size, you honestly don't need much. Ubuntu is a great OS, but it still has a small footprint when it comes to hard drive usage. I have a 20GB partition on my main computer, and that is plenty for Ubuntu. Since Ubuntu can read NTFS partitions, you can leave your music, media, documents, etc on your Windows partition and still access, play, edit, and delete them from Linux. Ubuntu can read AND write NTFS starting with 7.04 I think, which is outdated, the current version (8.04) reads and writes NTFS just fine by default.

on gparted startup it gives me a list of things to pic.. most of them say auto i cant remember what they all say but im sure someone knows what im talking about. Which "link" do i click on?

Overlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom