What's your preferred DVD playing application in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah so we found the culprit then, compiz is great but still has a few kinks that need to be worked out sadly.

ah so we found the culprit then, compiz is great but still has a few kinks that need to be worked out sadly.

And quite frankly, Compiz has turned into one of those things that I so rarely use. I watch concert DVDs on here like crazy, so I like being able to see a clear picture.

But hey, at least we know what it is, even if it's not a "solution." But like I said, disabling Compiz is really not a big deal. You can only go OMGAWSH over the cube spinning for so long before it gets old. And if I want to enable it, it's only a few clicks away. ;)

Thing is it's eye candy but at the moment there are other things that needs to be fixed in any form of linux before we can start adding eye candy, don't get me worng it's nice to have but we need to add more support for some types of hardware make the display devices more tuneable before we add junk.

I know it sounds mad coming from me but honestly linux lag's behind in display customisation compared to Windows and OSX, that's a shame and it needs to be fixed soon.

Thing is it's eye candy but at the moment there are other things that needs to be fixed in any form of linux before we can start adding eye candy, don't get me worng it's nice to have but we need to add more support for some types of hardware make the display devices more tuneable before we add junk.

I know it sounds mad coming from me but honestly linux lag's behind in display customisation compared to Windows and OSX, that's a shame and it needs to be fixed soon.

Uh, what? I find Linux to be light years ahead of what Mac and Windows have offered. Look at what Compiz can do in comparison to what Windows and Mac have both offered. It's out of this world and uses less resources than what the other two big heads could ever hope to.

At the expense of a few minor flaws (such as my video tearing) I consider it to be extremely successful, but not perfect.

I am a huge fan of Linux but I find it's monitor configuration set up abysmal that needs work before it can truly considered a non techie desktop OS.

I am a huge fan of Linux but I find it's monitor configuration set up abysmal that needs work before it can truly considered a non techie desktop OS.

Oh?

Fresh install loaded.

-Download updates.
-Enable restricted drivers.
-Reboot.
-Set up Firefox, Pidgin, Amarok, etc the way you would want them to be.
-(The same way you would in Windows)

I'm not arguing that Ubuntu is "grandma proof" by any means, but I'm simply stating that when I hear other people speak about Ubuntu being "not ready for the desktop market" and they give me reasons why, I can almost immediately find the exact same (or very similar) issues with Vista, therefore nullifying the argument at hand.

See what I mean? Not trying to shoot ya down, but it's simply the stance I've developed with my experience with Vista/Ubuntu/XP/Mac/etc... I just find that the gap in between Ubuntu vs others has been shortened day by day.

Jayce I use Linux full time, I have been using it since 2000 and I have always found that Linux is lacking in monitor configuration even since my first experience with it, that is one thing I hope to improve on with Isaac.

I can vouch for the Monitor support. It took me at least 4 installs of Ubuntu and the subsequent crashign of xorg to finally figure out how to get multi monitor support in Ubuntu 7.04 when i first started to use Linux. It is far less complicated now that i know what i am doing. But i had to freshily install Linux 4 times before i figured out how to do it. Compared to teh Right click desktop>display properties that it is in Windows.

Dotn get me wrong i love using Ubuntu when i can. But overall the multi monitor support is lacking.

My buddy has a pair of 22 inch LCD's running in Ubuntu Intrepid. He showed me what he did to get it working. It took as much effort as it does in Windows with right clicking.

Granted, I know that wasn't always the case... I'm speaking from the mindset of Intrepid setting a new milestone for Ubuntu. But like I said before, it isn't perfect, it's not something I'd recommend to my grandmother... but **** has it come a longgggg way. And that gap is only growing shorter and shorter by the day.

I havent tried Intrepid to know if it is the same. I will try to get it installed in the next couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom