What's your preferred DVD playing application in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Particularly, Ubuntu. I run Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit and I have been trying to find the best DVD playing application out there for Ubuntu, and I feel as though I am coming up short.

VLC - Easy program to use, but it has horrible, absolutely horrible horizontal lines that appear in the center of the screen during action scenes. Even VLC for Windows does this, but not quite as bad.

Totem - I can't fast forward in Totem to select a certain spot of the DVD to start at, which is enough for me to hit the buzzer and say no thanks.

MPlayer - Seems decent. I have the best luck with MPlayer. But I still find myself looking around for another player.

GXine - I heard a lot of hype about this one when I looked it up, but I really find it to be mediocre at best.

What's your preferred program?

I tried Kaffeine this morning, and it definitely seems like one of the better players. I still see those horizontal lines every once in a while, but I guess it's a no win situation. Then again, I've seen them in Windows... but comparing VLC Windows vs VLC Ubuntu was just... they were still different. :(

Kaffeine seems like a sweet app though. I plan to use it in the future. I didn't have to touch a single thing to get it to run either.

Does anybody know the command to put under preferred applications to get kaffeine to auto start? I know VLC is VLC %M, what is Kaffeine? Kaffeine %M?

Are all programs under KDE/Gnome usable on the opposing distro version? Or is it just a select few (K3B, Kaffeine) that are usable on Gnome due to popularity?

KMOTE - seriously? You don't have any sort of horizontal line issues in VLC?

Ironically I used media player in Vista today on a live concert DVD and I noticed a horizontal line too, but not nearly as bad as VLC in Ubuntu. Maybe I goofed a setting??

It could be a number of things mate, I never see the issues that you have had unless it is on a file that is screwed up or on a newer codec version than that supported by VLC.

BAM! Got a screenshot of what it is doing. This happens so quick it took about 20 tries to get a screenshot.

This is using VLC media player in Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit watching "Fall To Pieces" by Velvet Revolver.

SlashGuitarII.png - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

EDIT - It's Compiz. I found out this is called "Video Tearing" and searched it on Ubuntu Forums. Several threads appeared. I'd estimate 98% of them confirmed that using Compiz caused video tearing in all video applications, however they posted threads there looking for a fix to keep Compiz running AND have no video tearing. I haven't read of a fix yet, but I just played a DVD in VLC without Compiz enabled and it was crystal clear.

At least I know what it is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom