Whats the Best linux for general purpose/programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuobo

Baseband Member
Hello,guys i would like to step into the open source world(out of windows os).The truth is i havent used any of the linux but i know i can handle them if i start now.Now i need advise on the os to grab now.I think its red hat linux,but i need your advise on which os to use, and why, and which is more customisable.

Well, what kind of programming are you talking about? The language matters because of the code base, cross platform potential and available compilers out there. For just learning linux and how it runs on a platform you may want to try a course of somesort online.

If you want to dive right in without mucking up your windows installation then try a liveCD (running the OS from a CD/DVD) version of linux like Slax or Knoppix. If you want to actually install linux, then the most popular choice would be either Ubuntu or Fedora, but I wouldn't just install it unless you plan on using it for some practical purpose. There really isn't anything to installing it, it's fairly intuitive. Drivers are going to be tricky for the beginner, thats why you should stick with a popular choice, so that you will have a wide forum base where questions will already be answered and your answers (cause you will have plenty of questions) can easily be found. Another reason why choosing a popular version of linux is a wise decision is because, 9 out of 10 windows to linux users just use the GUI anyway... so all you really do as a beginner is try out commands in a terminal window and then launch firefox to tell us all about how you are using linux now on TF. Sounds funny, but it's the truth. Most windows users get tired of it really quick because the practicality of the OS is not what they have in mind, and frankly... gaming is not on their radar. Anyway, once you get your requirements or what you NEED from a linux OS.. then you can start to drill down what linux OS you actually really need to install. But, if you are just starting.. there's nothing that an online tutorial/Knoppix and Ubuntu can't teach you.

FreeBSD would be my choice. That or PC-BSD.

Well, since you are more or less beginning to use Linux as well Mak, maybe he can relate to some of the reasons why you chose the linux version that you chose. Why FreeBSD?

I can answer that one:

Mak was an is very curious about the world of unix, and I said the deep end of the unix word was BSD (any of the flavors) so I pointed him to the download page an he was hooked, there have been some teathing problems at the start but I found him PCBSD an he is likeing that all he needs is to get used to some ways of doing things an he will be all set.

Yes Saxon is mostly right. With the PC-BSD DVD installer you get many options right there toward the end of the install to choose things to install.

3 of the packages that are available are:

1. Web Development
2. Software Developement
3. General Development

That along with the source codes and much more is a reason why i would say PC-BSD for general purpsoe/programming. As the install alone gives you everything you need. From the install of Firefox and Opera to the hard core programming stuff in Unix. All before you even fire it up for the first time.

I have had my growing pains with Linux/Unix. Ubuntu was good. But not as hardcore as would be expected. Ubuntu is great for your first step away from Windows. It has a very similar feel to it and way it works. Kubuntu would be even better with the KDE interface. As that more closely resembles Windows than Gnome with Ubuntu.

I have nto tried Fedora so i cant comment. But i have run Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, PC-BSD and of all of them Kubuntu and PC-BSD have been teh best so far. I currently work with Kubuntu more as that is easier to configure and work with right now cause i know of the Ubuntu/Kubuntu Kernel and coding. But i will work stricly in PC-BSD shortly and give a review on how that is if people wish.

That would be good Mak! Seeing as how you are the windows guy it would be nice for people to get a unbiased pov on BSD linux gets all the press attention.

I appreciate all the replies guys,it feels good to see you guys answering my 2yrs question.I do c++.Can it be compiled and run on a linux or bsd machine FOR Windows?Actually i intend learning python, and then going into open source software development.I also need linux cos of its secure state than windows.

Oh ok don't huff the jenkem on this one mate although Unix based OS's are more secure than NT based OS's they are still vulnerable, there is still malware out there for Linux (less for BSD).

Yes you could code for Windows. But to test it you would have to have a VM of Windows going inside Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom