What are your favorite linux distros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel2007

In Runtime
I know this question has been asked many time. I can use Google search to find out the answer
For example:
10 best Linux distros for 2011 | News | TechRadar

You can see they posted about Linux Mint 11. Which is very vague. There are so many Linux Mint Editions. It should be specific like Linux Mint 11 Gnome.
I prefer Linux Mint 9 Xfce.

Here is what I want to know:
What are your favorite linux distros?
What do you use it for (short answer. No need detail)?

Ubuntu - I have it on dual boot on my old laptop, but run it via a VM on my new laptop and I use it for testing compatibility of apps such as citrix when at work, once again inside a VM

I used to use Red Hat years ago and moved to Suse, but have settled with Ubuntu now.
I remember reading that same article last year and ended up downloading the ones I hadn't tried just to see what they were like.
But it also got me thinking back to OS's that I had tried over the years and for some reason at the time that article made me remember BeOS and Haiku, which I didn't notice until that time that Haiku was still going

I like several distros for different reasons.

Debian - I look at Debian as "The Godfather" of Linux distros. It might feel dated with certain pre-installed apps, but it's pretty robust.
Fedora - I love how Fedora takes bleeding edge technologies and makes them actually work. It hardly ever feels like a beta to me because it's always worked so well.
OpenSuSE - I always liked the KDE spin that OpenSuSE has done. It's always a pleasure to use.
Ubuntu - "old faithful." There are times with other distros, even the ones listed above, I'll try to get something working and get frustrated. Ubuntu is the distro that tends to just simply work for me. I spend very little time messing with it and once it's set up it just happily continues without complaining. It's the most well rounded distro for my uses because it works great on servers, great on netbooks, great on desktops, and great on laptops. Sure, the others I mentioned above are great for all of that too, but Ubuntu is just where I seem to come back to. Every time I leave it for another distro, in time, I return.

I use Ubuntu on my laptop (soon to change :p)

I use Debian on my dedicated Linux system. And I really like it.

I have tried several distros in the past. About the only way you can decide for yourself, is try them. Run them in virtualbox.

Edit: @Jayce- "Old faithful", isn't that so true... :lol:

Either Slax (a portably distro) because it's just so easy to customize. It lets you choose only the packages you want which I find very useful. It takes 10 mins to build a distro to do exactly what you want. I also like puppy linux as I play around with old hardware and Puppy has very low system requirements.

Personally I like running Ubuntu on my servers as the CLI is easier to use. I'm using Suse on dual boot on my laptop. Last year we built my mother a computer for Christmas. We put Linux Mint 8 on it. She doesn't know much about computers, more of a as long as it works type of thing, but she does know that my father and I make jokes about penguins eating apples its supposed to be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom