What will Ubuntu 10.04 bring to the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
What will Ubuntu 10.04 bring to the table?

It's almost that time again – time to start chatting up the next release coming out of the Ubuntu-verse. I know, I know…it seems the tires of 9.10 were just kicked. They were. Ubuntu 9.10 was well received, but now something bigger and better is coming around the corner. But what should be expected of Ubuntu? How can they one-up themselves, after the hat-trick they pulled with 9.10? Well, I have taken a peek under the hood of Lucid Lynx and I really liked what I saw.
As you may know, Ubuntu has a very regular release schedule. Some say this prolific schedule gets in the way of users growing accustomed to the distribution. The minute a release gains a modicum of familiarity, Ubuntu releases another, better version. On the other hand, Ubuntu offers what is called a Long Term Support version. LTS releases happen every two years and enjoys support for 3 years. So instead of jumping on every release, you can upgrade only when an LTS release comes out. Ubuntu 10.04 is an LTS release (due out in April 2010), so users could hop onto this release and ride it until 12.04 is released. But what will 10.04 bring to the table? Let's find out.

Nothing, for 2 reasons Ubuntu is turning into the vista of the Linux world (yes go and use a real linux os, try normal debian) and also most people don't pay attention to pokimon... sorry I meant to say distros that have more in common with a atchual technical achievement and originality than that pile of crap.

But will I have to drop out of school if I use Ubuntu because I will not be able to use the interwebs?

sorry. ;) could not resist.

Nothing, for 2 reasons Ubuntu is turning into the vista of the Linux world (yes go and use a real linux os, try normal debian) and also most people don't pay attention to pokimon... sorry I meant to say distros that have more in common with a atchual technical achievement and originality than that pile of crap.

Lol, tell us how you REALLY feel ! :tongue:

Though I have gone back to Ubuntu 9.04 (9.10 was a bit "glitchy" IMO), I don't have the same level of disdain for Ubuntu as Saxon. However, I do know that Ubuntu is usually considered a Linux entry-level OS for people wanting a taste of Linux coming from Windows. I tried Fedora and that was a time bomb. Well, maybe next time I will actually go with Debian per Saxon's comment. Time will tell.

Eric you will find Debian a much better alternative, but might I suggest that you try out a offering from the BSD family?

Well, no problem, except the last time I tried BSD (it was FreeBSD), there was some error stuff going on, of which I dont remember what the problem was. Can I dual boot with Windows 7 and BSD the same way I can with Win7 and Ubuntu right now ? I have Easy BCD on this computer by the way.

Yes but you will have to use the FreeBSD bootloader, but PCBSD can auto configure I haven't had to reinstall in a while or done it as yet with W7 I will take a gander for you.

So, riddle me this: I've tried out a ton of different distros, including Red Hat, Fedora, openSuSE, Debian itself, etc. I came back to *buntu each time.

From my experience, things just work. There's no hardcore tweaking that needs to be done in comparison to what I've had to do to make other distros with less support work. And the forum community, wow. It's solid. Far better than any other forum I've posted on.

As much as you may hate it, *buntu deserves their place as top dog of the Linux distros, and I anticipate only good to continue coming from them.

To counter your riddle me this -
Ubuntu is essentially linux with bloat you should be able to select and deselect what packages you want at install, the configuration is a night mare if you want to change anything from the get what you are given. As for their community that is simply facreical! stock answer upgrade to flatulent frog. If you are in a business environment that is not always possible as things like reimageing a machine take time and money not to mention the testing and configuration you have to do and most of the time things like that have to be approved by upper non technical management. Have you ever wondered why there are so many NT4 and 2k server boxes out there? because the management wont excuse the downtime necessary for a upgrade. This also extends to, all OS's by the way. And if your problem can't be fixed by upgrading most of the time you are left flapping in the wind.

Also people tend to rag on people like redhat, or novel etc but not cannocal? Canocal are little more than the MS of the opensource world you know that little bubble when you use some non free binary driver? well open source also means NO OBFUSCATION! cannocal take debian code and then add there own and hash it up so it makes it harder to work with if you are a 3rd party just because the code is there dose not mean it's truly free they just work within the limits of what they can do inside the GPL.

About the only GOOD thing they are doing is letting people know of the alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom