What turned you to Linux and what distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helix2301

In Runtime
Just wondering what turn everyone to linux and why you picked your distro? I use Ubuntu I just like the look and feel has a lot of built in features which is great because less having to tinker which is kind of the fun with linux. As far as why just because tired of paying the money and also to people don't realize there is better software out there that is free.

Well I beleive in the 4 freedoms of software that was one of my main reasons for making the switch, linux variants are much better at this time than the GNU system at this time.

One of the other reasons i made the switch is I like the freedom an flexibility of linux, if i don't like one distro i can always swap to another, that suits my needs. I love playing around with software an linux gives me that ability over windows or OSX.

Chose Ubuntu for my laptop as it has the best wireless support, for my laptop.
I use OpenSuSe for my desktop as it's just right for my system an needs at this time, including software development which is something i intend to get into very shortly.

I had Dial Up a few years ago, when my friend said I should download this thing called Linux. I did...took 2 weeks of nightly downloading and tying up the phone line, and I burned it to a CD. I tried it out, and didn't like it at all (partly because it was a light distro based on Fluxbox, an ancient looking window manager, and it had no good features).

Few years later, now I have Cable, and I'm looking for alternative software for my Windows Mobile PDA...but instead I wind up at Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu, where I see a great looking, clean, new desktop and a free download. Few days later, I downloaded the ISO to try it out. I liked the new feel of GNOME so much, I pulled an old 5GB hard drive out of an old PC and stuck it in my good PC, installed Ubuntu 6.06 on it. I then played around with Wine to get some games to work as well as use the system a lot. I got familiar with Linux software and setup, and now I use it all the time on my laptop (still use Windows for gaming).

Well I beleive in the 4 freedoms of software that was one of my main reasons for making the switch, linux variants are much better at this time than the GNU system at this time.

One of the other reasons i made the switch is I like the freedom an flexibility of linux, if i don't like one distro i can always swap to another, that suits my needs. I love playing around with software an linux gives me that ability over windows or OSX.

Chose Ubuntu for my laptop as it has the best wireless support, for my laptop.
I use OpenSuSe for my desktop as it's just right for my system an needs at this time, including software development which is something i intend to get into very shortly.

What would be a practical application for OpenSuse? i may concider trying it if it has features that i like.

I did use ubuntu for a while but realized that i cant really do what i wished to do with it (internet flash games, youtube vids) but if i weren't wanting to do these i'd still have Ubuntu. i used Gutsy at the time of the usage.

yes it is but the current 10.3 is having problems with flash so give it till 10.4 of spend time playing around with it you will get it working right.

Edit:

I must also add that it's the x64 version the 32bit is fine with flash.

It's FAST, reliable, an you can chose what type of software you wan't off the disk if you want programing software check the box for that you want more entertainment check that box. The only feature that is missing is a liveCD version.

A MUD I played released its source code which ran in linux and I used the live cd to tinker with it...and got hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom