what are the steps to removing linux and installing windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlU

Beta member
lol, a linux forum is probably not the best place to ask so if you don't want to answer...I understnad :eek:

This move is not necessarily permanent, I just miss playing all the games and having things work, I might dual boot in the future...

So, what are the steps to removing linux and installing windows?
Thank you.

insert windows disk, turn power on

let windows install boot up and delete existing linux partition(s), create a windows suitable partition and let it install windows

if installing windows 98 or earlier(unlikely), you have to use something like the non windows version of fdisk to remove the linux partition first

macdude425 said:
Boot off the Windows CD and into the recovery console. Run fixboot and fixmbr and then exit. Then format normally with the Windows installer CD.

you dont even have to do that, it will fix the MBR anyway when a windows partition is created and formatted unless you want to keep the existing linux partition for some reason

Thanks peoples, can I use Windows ME instead of Windows XP to do the job?

not without using a different version of fdisk, the one that comes with windows98/ME or earlier wont remove a linux partition

horndude said:
you dont even have to do that, it will fix the MBR anyway when a windows partition is created and formatted unless you want to keep the existing linux partition for some reason

If by "fix" you mean "nuke and pave" then I see what you mean. :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom